Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if your warranty covers coolant puking out the degas cap? I brought the truck in for a PO299 code which ended up costing the 100.00 deductible to clean out the egr pipe. The dealership charged additional 75.00 bones for testing the coolant system and replacing the cap which was not holding pressure. The problem I have is the coolant level is below the minimum again for the 3rd time.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Kurt

2006 F350 49500 miles

·
Banned
0 Posts
The dealer is trying to rip you off. That should be covered under the warranty. I never heard of anyone else paying extra to diagnose a puking problem.

·
Slacker
19,118 Posts
Hopefully, they've done the sticker update to redefine your max and min for your degas bottle. Mine always runs about a quarter inch below the new max (old min) line when cold.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dealer told me the radiator and degas tank and cap are not covered under the 100000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The number of clueless dealer reports are amazing. The puking of coolant is either the EGR cooler/Oil cooler or headgaskets (most likely).

Mines going in for evaluation in the A.M. I'm pretty sure the head gaskets will be determined faulty.

Take Care

·
Banned
0 Posts
The number of clueless dealer reports are amazing. The puking of coolant is either the EGR cooler/Oil cooler or headgaskets (most likely).

Mines going in for evaluation in the A.M. I'm pretty sure the head gaskets will be determined faulty.

Take Care
a bad cap can also cause it....and it isnt covered by the warranty if thats whats causing it:thumb: its only covered 3/36

K....here is the deal...if its the EGR cooler or headgaskets its warrantyable....if its something else causing it....it may not be...

your coolant level should be 1/4-3/4 of an inch below the min line on the bottle (unless your going off of the updated sticker) or they will puke...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks Btravelen for the info.........I just dropped it off at the dealership. I know the cap is brand new, they charged me $60 to put a new one on. it still pukes. I will post an update

·
Registered
929 Posts
a bad cap can also cause it....and it isnt covered by the warranty if thats whats causing it:thumb: its only covered 3/36

K....here is the deal...if its the EGR cooler or headgaskets its warrantyable....if its something else causing it....it may not be...

your coolant level should be 1/4-3/4 of an inch below the min line on the bottle (unless your going off of the updated sticker) or they will puke...
Marc,

is that the coolant level when cold or hot?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
update

the dealership says that the system is pressurized and not leaking anywhere, they are saying excessive boost can cause it to puke. I have not had the boost into the 30's yet!

·
Banned
0 Posts
How exactly does excess boost cause pressure in the coolant system without a compromised head gasket?

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
I would say you have a bad headgasket.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
new head gaskets

well thanks for all the info guys, the dealer put a new egr cooler in, I drove it home
and it starting puking again, brought it back and they finally changed the head gaskets!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hope they did a careful and thorough repair, including checking the block and heads for flatness/defects. There are a surprising # of reported repeat repairs due to lack of attention to detail in accomplishing the job.

Take Care

1 - 14 of 14 Posts