Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well guys good news for now. My truck has been having the tea kettle whistle for months now and its been bothering the pi** out of me so today I went to TSC and bought the psi gauge,t-fitting,hose clamps, and fitting for the gauge to the hose. Cost $30 which is more than some but either way money well spent in my opinion. So first off took forever to build pressure thought I had a leak at first but kept on. I know you have to put a load on the engine to see the right psi readings and since Im fresh out of major hills (southern indiana) I just romped the sh*t out of it until the gauge got to 10psi then I kept romping on it more but never got over 12psi thank god :D . That makes it 206,000 miles with stock gaskets,egr,and gold coolant.

Any who, I was just going to see who all has tested their systems and if anyone is unsure about their readings they can post up in here :dunno:

Also if anyone is in or around Evansville,IN and are wanting to check their headgaskets, you can use my system :icon_ford:

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
So what is making the "tea kettle" whistle?
Have you replaced the cap yet on the degas bottle?
You might want to get a new cap and then test the pressure again.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
You, sir, need a new degas cap if you're teakettling at 12PSI. Did you hear it whistle while you were testing?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cap is brand new from ford. I think I might have a torn IC boot or slight up pipe leak. I couldnt see any soot on the fire wall so doubting that. Would like to hear from someone that has had tea kettle and it was HG's because I cant always hear the whistle and it seems like the sounds varies with the wind as weird as it sounds. Believe me the cap was the first thing I bought, didnt change anything. No puking and not using coolant

·
Registered
2 Posts
My would build up to 16 psi in the first 4 miles, then when worked hard would whistle and puke at 17 to 18 psi. Which tells me the heads (both where cracked) were leaking more than the cap would relieve.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So you didnt have to drive it hard at all for your pressure to spike? Thanks for the info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts