Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a '07 F250 CC W/ 48k on the odo. I did what I consider to be a "simple" flush, and followed a tutorial on the YouTube by powerstrokehelp. After draining the Ford gold, I refilled with regular water and let it cycle for about 30 min with a short drive in that time frame. I then drained the water and let it cycle through the system with the plug out of the radiator and continuous water running through via the degas bottle. After all was out, I installed a sinister coolant filter and began to fill the system with CAT ELC. After approximately 10 qts of coolant, my system was full. I had the engine running to see if it would suck anymore in, but its to the fill line. Did I miss something other than using DI water in the simple flush process? Any help is appreiciated.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Do you have a monitoring device to see what the difference is between your coolant temp and your oil temp when the truck is warmed up? Hopefully with only 48k your oil cooler is still in good shape and a simple flush is fine.
Why didn't you use distilled water? Tap water will leave deposits.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That info is here in the stickys. I think I had read here more than twice that powerstroke help is not a good place to get info. I know you are not to leave tap water in them distilled only. There are some you tubes that they have talked about that are pretty good. Sr master mech. I think. If you read some of the post of late about flush that should help.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
1. No tap water.
2. Only add concentrated coolant. Premixed is a waste of money.

·
Registered
897 Posts
A fair amount of water is retained in the block hence adding the concentrate so that you can achieve the correct 50/50 ratio.

·
War is the answer!
5,386 Posts
It doesn't just leavesdropping deposits but also inhibits the start of rust in the system.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks gents... While @ the CAT dealer, the guy told me that CAT didn't offer a concentrate of their ELC anymore... After going to the local NAPA store, all they would recommend was zerex, which from what I understand is a spin off of the Ford gold. Any recommendations on a concentrated coolant and where to buy it? I'm gonna hit Walmart this afternoon for the distilled water. My thinking behind the tap water was my premix had the distilled water in it and that would handle the majority of the water problem. I didn't think about how I wouldn't be able to get all of the water out. Would taking the drain plugs outta the block help @ all? My delta between eot and ect is ~4*. Thanks again.

·
War is the answer!
5,386 Posts
That's a lie. I just picked some up yesterday...lol

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Oreilly's has a Cat EC-1 ELC.

·
War is the answer!
5,386 Posts
I got 4 gallons of concentrate for like $25 a gallon. I get it every few months for equipment at the PD and the guy even sad see y'all next month. Not a mention of discontinuing it. It is a CAT dealer.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Cat dealer by me could only get premixed too. What they told me at least. Haha. I ended up going with fleetrite from the local international dealer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Go back to NAPA & order Zerex part # zxed-1 That is concentrate for ELC coolant. They might not have it in stock, but it might take one day for them to have it. It is Zerex ELC CAT-1 Coolant. It will be about $17.00 a gallon. You need to order four Gallons. Just put in 3 1/2 gallons. After you put the coolant in then top it off with distilled water. When you drain your old coolant out, drain the radiator & at least the left engine block plug. Just make sure that you get all of the old stuff out of there. Use distilled water & flush all that tap water out of there.You should After you put distilled water in, run it to get up to operating temperature, then drain your engine block & radiator. Do that about three times, then add your coolant & top off with distilled water.

·
Registered
187 Posts
When you drain your old coolant out, drain the radiator & at least the left engine block plug. Just make sure that you get all of the old stuff out of there.
x2

I've been doing my flush for the past couple of days. I pull the lower radiator hose and let it empty, then pull the driver side block plug. I would say at least an additional 2 gals of junk comes out of that block.

FWIW, if you're going to the trouble of flushing, why not do the restore/restore+ at the same time? I did my restore yesterday and the goo that come outta there... :eek:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I called napa and they said it doesn't exist, and to go to the Ford place bc they have the good gold stuff. About the restore, i figured with low mileage, I didnt wanna take the chance on clogging the cooler. I'm hoping that the filter catches anything that could be of negative inpact to the system. WHAT GIVES ON A FRIGGIN ELC CONCENTRATE???

·
Registered
187 Posts
I bought the Fleetguard concentrate from a Cummins dealer locally. I can't believe that NAPA can't hook you up with the Zerex tho. Any chance the guy that answered the phone just didn't know what he was talking about?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts