Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the coolant cap (because powerstrokehelp Bill told me to ;) ) and noticed a smell like I just opened a can of paint. The coolant level is right where it has been but I've noticed a thin layer of particles floating near the surface in the reservoir.

I had planned to do a full flush and switch to ELC. I bought the truck a month ago so I have no idea of the maintenance history. There is a coolant filtration kit installed.

I'm hoping it's not injector cups as I've had a run of bad luck with vehicles lately. Any suggestions of where to go from here? Should I be concerned in the first place?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,948 Posts
Have you pulled the filter off of the coolant filter?
Check there first, that will show if there is anything in the system.
Are the particles solid or do they look like bubbles?

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Is this something common? I have a 6.7L and have heard other folks talk about different odors but the Paint smell is a new one. What causes this?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will check the filter tomorrow.

Looking again, I'd describe it as more of a reddish cloud. There is a definite layer of this about 2mm thick floating on top of the coolant.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this something common? I have a 6.7L and have heard other folks talk about different odors but the Paint smell is a new one. What causes this?
That's the best way I can think to describe it, though others may call it something else. I knew it smelled like something I'd encountered before and my father came up with the "paint" label.

I'm thinking its the smell of diesel in the coolant but want to make sure before assuming the worst. Like I said, I've had a terrible run of luck with my vehicles lately and an injector cup job is gonna kill me, so I'm hoping someone has better news :please:

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
That's the best way I can think to describe it, though others may call it something else. I knew it smelled like something I'd encountered before and my father came up with the "paint" label.

I'm thinking its the smell of diesel in the coolant but want to make sure before assuming the worst. Like I said, I've had a terrible run of luck with my vehicles lately and an injector cup job is gonna kill me, so I'm hoping someone has better news :please:
I hope it isn't as bad as all that Bro, I will keep my Diesel smelling fingers crossed for ya.:thumb:

Reactions: Lt.Dan
1 - 6 of 6 Posts