Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i have a load or when i get on it i smell burnt coolant in the cab for a few seconds. this happend when the truck was stock took it to ford they said it was fine and they couldnd find anything. now i have x3 on street tune and it is doing it again. what is it? i have the egr unplugged am i killing my truck?

Thanks
peter

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
Sounds like your EGR cooler is bad. Those things are a weak link on these engines. Return to stock and take it to the dealership. If they replace the EGR cooler, have them also replace the oil cooler, since it may have caused your EGR cooler problem.

Casting sand from the block can clog your oil cooler, reducing the flow of coolant through the EGR cooler, causing it to overheat and rupture. I have been through a couple of EGR coolers and I'm now running a coolant bypass filter and have my EGR cooler bypassed as well.

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
Same thing for you. My truck only did it under load and I was stock, as well. It's either EGR cooler or head gaskets and the dealership would much rather go the cheaper and more common failure part route (EGR cooler). They would be the ones to determine whether you have a ruptured EGR cooler. While it may not be bad now, it will get worse and could leave you stranded. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks will do

1 - 5 of 5 Posts