Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted in the problem forums a few wks ago about my trucks coolant being black/brown. My truck is a 2010 28k miles and the dealership reccomended me to flush it they wont do it under warrenty, should i put the gold coolant back in or get some cat elc coolant and say screw it to the gold. I also will be installing my coolant filter kit and new tstats when i do the flush:thumb:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I posted in the problem forums a few wks ago about my trucks coolant being black/brown. My truck is a 2010 28k miles and the dealership reccomended me to flush it they wont do it under warrenty, should i put the gold coolant back in or get some cat elc coolant and say screw it to the gold. I also will be installing my coolant filter kit and new tstats when i do the flush:thumb:
If you switch to an ec-1 rated coolant you don't need to check nitrates like you do with the ford stuff. First have you figured out why it is brown? Is your oil cooler possibly leaking or is it just dirty?

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
I agree with the above. I would go with an EC-1 rated ELC coolant but i would figure out why it is black before i did that.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think it is just brown to be honest, the dealership told me it was burnt which i never heard of before. I was going to send a sample out

·
Registered
517 Posts
Sent it out and CAT ELC or Shell ELC back in, skip the gold junk. Shell ELC you can find at Canadian Tire and parts stores, CAT stuff you can find at CAT parts suppliers so keep that in mind if you travel/need to top up/have a leak.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
even if my truck still is under warrenty? If i have a issue with the engine or anything and bring it in for warrenty wont they denie me because its not the right coolant?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
even if my truck still is under warrenty? If i have a issue with the engine or anything and bring it in for warrenty wont they denie me because its not the right coolant?
You could ask them. If something was to happen it would probably been because something has been brewing already. I have never heard anyone say coolant is burnt. If you still have warranty I would try another dealership and see what they say about the coolant being brown.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
yea, I'd be up the dealers arse before I did anything else. 28k miles on my truck and you're telling me the coolant is burnt? AND..you're not going to do anything about it??? Bullcrap.

Never heard of burnt coolant either, but if the dealer says something is wrong then they need to do something about it with only 28k miles.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They said flushes are not covered under warrenty because its part of maintenance on the truck? At 28k i dont think i should be doing any type of maintenace other then oil changes and fuel filters!

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
First off with only 28k on the odometor Id be insane that the dealer wont help you....second, is the coolant the same "gold coolant" that was used with the 6.0's? And if so just askin, not assumin nuttin, but why in the world would you have 27,900 miles on the stuff? ( I give 100 miles for taking the truck home and to the nearist EC-1 coolant dealer)
If it is not the same feel free to call me a moron and move on.....

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
They said flushes are not covered under warrenty because its part of maintenance on the truck? At 28k i dont think i should be doing any type of maintenace other then oil changes and fuel filters!
The coolant is supposed to be good for about 50,000k before the first flush I believe so with 28k I'd be finding another dealer that would help check into why it is discolored.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
when i bring it to another dealer should i tell them that i already had it at a different dealer for the same issue? or just start over new?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
when i bring it to another dealer should i tell them that i already had it at a different dealer for the same issue? or just start over new?
Well I would just start over new I guess. Don't tell them you were at another dealer. Just say you think you are having cooling system issues.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
The gold stuff is fine IF AND ONLY IF you monitor it and change it out frequently which I do. Your much better off with ec1 but u can bet if your under warranty and u have any problems and have EC1 in the dealer will say that's your problem we are not fixing it. Back to your problem tho the dealership should be taking care of this problem for u don't let them walk all over you

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Or do what super duty said start fresh at a new dealer. A lot of times I've complained about a dealer down the road and said I should have come here I heard this place is much better and it's funny how a comment like that works in your favor lol

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Or do what super duty said start fresh at a new dealer. A lot of times I've complained about a dealer down the road and said I should have come here I heard this place is much better and it's funny how a comment like that works in your favor lol
Haha could go both ways, im going to start new and If they ask if I went to a diff dealer I'll just tell them. I'm hoping for the best haha thanks for the help guys!!!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
They said flushes are not covered under warranty because its part of maintenance on the truck? At 28k i dont think i should be doing any type of maintenace other then oil changes and fuel filters!
id tell them its 5 year/50k-100k coolant and its not maintenance time yet and they need to take care of that...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts