Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was pokin around my truck yesterday and decided to pop the cap off of my coolant ressi just to take a peek. When i poped the lid off i found this gritty white film in and all around the cap...?? didnt really know what to make of it. There is also a film or scale buildup inside the ressi also. took a few pics and was wonderin what your guys thoughts are on this.:dunno:

·
Lt. Negativity
1,739 Posts
I would look into getting the Coolant filtration system from Dieselsite.com. The film your seeing is probably from the casting sand thats left when they made the block.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea, i was just curious... cant really aford much else rite now. limited funds for a while just wanted to make sure nothing was signifigantly wrong.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,293 Posts
That white film is the residue from coolant that has leaked out of the degas bottle through the cap (possibly from overpressure or a bad cap). The solids are coolant additives that are percipitated out as the glycol and water evaporate.

What coolant are you using? That is an odd color.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats what was in the truck when i bought it... i wasnt to sure myself. I know its supposed to be a golden yellow color isnt it? how can i presure test it to see if its getting over pressure?

·
Registered
379 Posts
looks like international long life coolant in there. you can tee into one of the smaller lines and then put a pressure tester on it and test the cap should hold at least 16psi before it vents. if it dont make it there the cas bad. replace it. then after putting the new cap on repressureize the tank and see if it loses any pressure should hold the pressure. if it dont start checking for leaks in egr cooler, coolant degas tank.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok ill go pick up a t fitting this afternoon. are you guys talking about splicing into one of the two little rubber hoses on top?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea diesel trucks in general are a whol new thing to me. This doesnt scare me away from the truck, i just wish i knew what i was looking for when i bought it. I just cant wait till spring because im gona pull the motor and go through it and do the necessites like egr delete, studs, gaskets......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts