Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im fairly familiar with what puking coolant means... head gaskets. I thought thats what it was. I took it to a Ford Dealer and an independent shop and they each ran 3 separate head gasket tests and the truck passed all of them perfectly. No blown head gaskets.

Having said that, I have no clue why coolant continues to puke out of the degas bottle little bits at a time - never a lot at once. Any ideas what this could be? :please::eek:hnoes:

·
Mod Newbie
11,881 Posts
Im fairly familiar with what puking coolant means... head gaskets. I thought thats what it was. I took it to a Ford Dealer and an independent shop and they each ran 3 separate head gasket tests and the truck passed all of them perfectly. No blown head gaskets.

Having said that, I have no clue why coolant continues to puke out of the degas bottle little bits at a time - never a lot at once. Any ideas what this could be? :please::eek:hnoes:
You have a stock EGR cooler?

·
Mod Newbie
11,881 Posts
You need a way to monitor ECT and EOT. If your EOT temps are more than 15° difference than ECT, you have a restricted oil cooler which restricts coolant flow. The restricted flow will create steam in the system and blow a cooler and/or the head gaskets.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Just curious, how did they test the headgaskets?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't remember what the other two were. One involved taking the degas tube off and putting a pressure gauge in there. They the independent shop does fleet maint. on these trucks so they are very familiar with them. How can I see if it is the egr cooler? I do not have gauges

·
Registered
388 Posts
Change the cap. Use a new ford cap.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
If your egr cooler is failing, your going to see higher than normal coolant pressures, and or coolant in the exhaust. Weak degas bottle caps can also cause minor puking. Like T diesel said, change that cap if you haven't already, and see how it does. Put a guage on the coolant and see for yourself what the coolant pressures are, around 8 psi is normal. The degas cap will vent at 16 psi, which is why we recommend a new cap. A weak cap will vent at lower pressures and allow leaks. If and when you test the coolant pressure the vehicle will have to be driven, pressure at idle won't give accurate readings. Right before I did my headgaskets, my truck would go from 0 psi to 16psi in a matter of minutes when driving after a cold morning start.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts