Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to install a coolant pressure sensor to keep track of pressures in cab- where is the best place to plumb it? right off the radiator hose that goes to the degas bottle?

I have a coolant bypass filter installed (XDP) - should i put it in a "T" before the coolant goes to the filter? that comes off the heater hose

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I plumbed into the 3/8” hose going into the degas bottle with a barbed t and worm clamps. Mine was temporary, so I closed the hood on the hose and ran it under the wiper to watch. If it were permanent, I would have put a 5 volt sensor at the end of the T and hooked it to my edge.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I believe after. It really shouldn't matter since it is closed system so pressure will be the same throughout the system.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,193 Posts
I plumbed into the 3/8” hose going into the degas bottle with a barbed t and worm clamps. Mine was temporary, so I closed the hood on the hose and ran it under the wiper to watch. If it were permanent, I would have put a 5 volt sensor at the end of the T and hooked it to my edge.
I'm way out of the loop on this stuff but I'm assuming you would use the universal sensor input and then use the software to configure. Can you tell me how that works? What information do you need to enter? etc.

k

·
Registered
220 Posts
You can get the sensors on Amazon, but you need the harness from the edge to hook to the sensors, then play with the settings on the edge or hook the edge up to your computer to set it up

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
The sensor from Edge was the 0-100 PSIG, 1/8 NPT (98607). I would have had to order from edge and request a wet sensor since their website says they ship dry sensors only. It hooks to the universal input system (98605). I already have the 98605, and it has two sensor inputs, and I only have one hooked up, so I would not have to buy that.

The Edge gets pricey quick to add sensors, because you need an EAS input like the universal input system to add the sensor to. This makes it about twice as expensive a you’d think to add a sensor. If you’re not monitoring much, Pillar gauges may be cheaper. To get the edge to where its reading the coolant pressure may run $700 to buy from scratch. Adding EGT an fuel pressure can be an extra $400.

I can’t remember which software adds the sensor whether it’s my style or fusion.

I did my test with the analog gauge strapped under the window, and after I vented the thermal pressure, I towed 11k for an hour and a half including up a 6% grade, and the PSI was only 2 or 3, and up the hill reached 6. I was happy with that and decided not to install the Edge sensor.

·
Premium Member
2,193 Posts
The sensor from Edge was the 0-100 PSIG, 1/8 NPT (98607). I would have had to order from edge and request a wet sensor since their website says they ship dry sensors only. It hooks to the universal input system (98605). I already have the 98605, and it has two sensor inputs, and I only have one hooked up, so I would not have to buy that.

The Edge gets pricey quick to add sensors, because you need an EAS input like the universal input system to add the sensor to. This makes it about twice as expensive a you’d think to add a sensor. If you’re not monitoring much, Pillar gauges may be cheaper. To get the edge to where its reading the coolant pressure may run $700 to buy from scratch. Adding EGT an fuel pressure can be an extra $400.

I can’t remember which software adds the sensor whether it’s my style or fusion.

I did my test with the analog gauge strapped under the window, and after I vented the thermal pressure, I towed 11k for an hour and a half including up a 6% grade, and the PSI was only 2 or 3, and up the hill reached 6. I was happy with that and decided not to install the Edge sensor.
Thanks!! That's more than I would want to spend for sure. I have the EGT probe installed but I have pillar gauges for OP and FP. If I ever suspect HGs again, I'll plumb in one like you did.

k

1 - 10 of 10 Posts