Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - I am replacing my oil cooler seals. I have everything stripped down and have noticed that the port on the engine block for the coolant into the oil filter housing does not look in good shape. I have spent some time with scotch bright, but it is still pretty rough. Wanted to get thoughts. Should I just keep scotch brighting it? Perhaps us a wire brush & dremmel? Or is it ok to use gasket sealer?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Cheers
Rossi

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle brake Helmet Automotive exterior

·
Registered
326 Posts
Likely one of the biggest mistakes folks make when re-installing the oil cooler on these engines is to use a sealant, do not do it. Use Motorcraft or Navistar gaskets and O rings only or you will be doing it again very soon.

If you use a sealant of any kind it will end up flaking, pealing, or just oozing into places it should never be and then end up clogging the cooler and other passages.

Use a scrubbing pad and maybe 3000 grit wet sand paper after to get out blemishes. Keep scrubbing.

Reactions: Y2KPSD

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As you can see, I have scrubbed a whole lot here, and removed all rust. It is really pitted.
I am no expert, but I would suspect that this will be a risky seal. I read that JB Weld ExtremeHeat could help smooth this out. Any thoughts?
Really not sure what the best path forward here is.

Automotive tire Water Asphalt Automotive wheel system Helmet

1 - 5 of 5 Posts