Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

This is my first post on here, although I usually just stalk the forums to find all the answers I'm looking for however, I can't seem to find an explicit answer this time.

I bought the truck in August of this year and immediately deleted the EGR cooler and replaced the oil cooler as the labor wasn't much extra. I now have a tuned FICM, cat delete pipe and SCT canned tunes and run it with the street tune (I don't feel the need for custom).

The temp dropped to 40 a couple weeks ago and since then it has been puffing out white smoke on startup with a rough idle. After I let it warm up for about 5-10 minutes the smoke goes away and I have no other problems. I removed my FICM last week as well and while removing the coolant reservoir I noticed there was none in there. Today I bought ford gold coolant (I plan on switching to ELC after warranty is over) and poured the whole gallon in and it didn't even reach the minimum mark.

There are NO visible coolant leaks and I assume the dealership I bought it from filled the coolant in August, only 3,500 miles ago, so I'm afraid I'm losing coolant, but the question is where? It's also not the oil cooler and it's only a few months old and my delta between EOT and ECT is never above 15 degrees, usually about 7-8.

I have two theories. 1.) Ford didn't fill the coolant and was just extremely low and I have bad glow plugs causing the white smoke on a cold start. Or 2.) Coolant is getting into the cylinder from a leaking head gasket.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Other than this, I am having no problems with the truck. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
well it could be the head gasket, when you delete the EGR did you just weld caps on both ends or did you buy the kit that takes it out all together?

as for white smoke... well almost every diesel is going to be blowing white smoke on cold starts and goes away after a bit.. its just burning the condensation out..

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
There is a very simple way to find out.. rig up a coolant pressure tester to first see if the system holds pressure (if it doesnt .. well that eliminates theory 1)... then you could drive around with the coolant pressure tester hooked up and see if the coolant pressure spikes under engine load (which would indicate whether or not a HG is bad (confirming or disproving theory 2)

Reactions: captainkyrk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: I guess I am going blind but this morning I went outside and noticed a big puddle right near the right front tire. To check, I added in a bit of coolant and noticed the dripping. I'm guessing it's some hose that needs o-rings but I will buy a pressure tester to verify the location. Thanks powerchoke

Is leaking next to the right tire common?

·
Premium Member
11,841 Posts
The two most common places for a leak that shows itself there are the heater hose connections and your EGR delete connection. It leaks into the valley and runs out the back just over the starter. I'd start there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts