Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read something on here before and cant remember where I seen it, it was saying something about coolant being in the heads or something and locking the motor! Does anyone know what this is and when this happens? What repairs are being made when you have to watch for this? And how do you prevent it? :dunno:

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
If you have complete head gasket failure or a egr cooler rupture this can dump coolant into the pistons. Water does not compress so it hydro locks the motor. Same thing can happen if you submerge your truck in water.

Reactions: Bullmastiff07

·
Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow!
6,471 Posts
It's called Hydrolocking and it happens when your headgaskets fail.

The only repair is a head gasket job.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THANKS!! I was thinking around those lines, I just wanted to make sure this wasnt soething to watch for when doing min.-med. repairs, i.e. thermostat, egr delete! Thanks again!!

·
6,471 Posts
It is a EGR delete... just a funnier way of putting it.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
^^^I see you took off your stacks......

·
6,471 Posts

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
OH MY BAD....wrong truck!:haha:

·
6,471 Posts
This is what a hydrolocked motor looks like... It was mine. :sofa:

·
6,471 Posts
Here is where the headgasket actually came apart.

That was a major failure, but when headgaskets normally fail, you see the combustion gasses passing through gaskets by the soot on the gasket.

It was actually going into the coolant and also out to the enginebay!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do they make upgraded gaskets, and is there a way to know if your studs/bolts are stretched/warped? When they warp/stretch does that mess the gaskets up? I plan on getting some ARP studs and when I do there is a package deal on amazon with some victor reins gaskets included with the studs. Good deal $538?

·
6,471 Posts
Do they make upgraded gaskets, and is there a way to know if your studs/bolts are stretched/warped? When they warp/stretch does that mess the gaskets up? I plan on getting some ARP studs and when I do there is a package deal on amazon with some victor reins gaskets included with the studs. Good deal $538?
NO!

Only use Ford OEM gaskets!

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
You can also hydro lock one if an injector sticks open or if it has a cracked nozzle.
Been there, done that! You bring back bad memories.... :(

I wish these injectors had some sort of auto shutoff valve so that when fuel rate exceeds a certain volume, it shuts it off. That way a) it wouldn't cause a hydro lock condition and possibly major engine issues like a bent connecting rod and b) it would allow you to at least continue to drive it w/o leaving you stranded. My thought is like washing machine hoses that can sense when they are ruptured and thereby shutting off before your laundry room/house is flooded.

Any inventors out there???

·
Registered
380 Posts
I had an egr cooler fail. Locked the motor tight when I tried to start it. Had to Weld up the egr and let it sit a couple days. Changed the oil and she ran like a champ.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts