Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search but found no answer. A lot of threads on coolant but nothing about the level. Anyway my question is twofold.

1. Under the hood the coolant reservoir has a minimum and maximum mark. Change my oil over the weekend and my coolant level is almost 1/2 inch below the minimum when engine is cold. Do I need to add some coolant? When the truck is warm the level is at maximum.

2. If I need coolant do I only use the "FORD" brand?

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
shhhhh, can you hear it?
2,236 Posts
well if its at max when warm i would say no.that is a recommended level when warm if i member from the manual correctly.you dont have to use the ford stuff,but coolants shouldnt be mixed unless it says you can on the bottle and i dont recommend it then.i would say depending on when the last flush was,do a flush and fill her back up with what you want to use.i think im gonna try that evans lifetime coolant and throw a filter on mine.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I found my coolant level to be about 1/2" low too, just after I purchased my truck (used). So I filled it to the min cold level but then twice in a row while towing tractors it puked out of the degas bottle and both times I refilled it to the min cold level after it cooled off, so the 3rd time it puked I didnt fill it back up, and it stays about 1/2" low all the time but has not puked on me anymore so I think the fill line on the bottles is a little off, at least on my 06.:icon_ford:

·
shhhhh, can you hear it?
2,236 Posts
did you fill while it was warm or after it cooled?if every time was after cooled then warm it up to operating temp and then check and fill.if it pukes after that i would leave it alone or have it checked.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there is a tsb that adjusted the fill line, if i remember correctly the minimum line is now the max line. so about 1/2" below the minimum line should put you right about at the min line when up to temp.
Interesting....I think your right. I checked mine last night after 18 mile drive home from work so Im sure it was hot enough. The level of my coolant is the same hot as it is cold? I think I'm going to leave it alone since I dont want to overfill it. Where do you find the TSB's on our trucks?

Thanks for everyones input I appreciate it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts