Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow early '99 owners,
I was hoping you all could help me out on this one. I posted the following on another forum and as usual anytime I initiate a post I never get replies:

I'm experiencing two coolant leaks that came on at the same time. The first comes from the oil cooler near where the O rings are located. No problem, ordered the O rings and the gasket from powerstrokeshop. The next and bigger leak comes from the large freeze plug on the back of the passenger side head. Does this freeze plug seal off coolant or oil? I'm concerned about getting coolant in my oil first and foremost. So far I have no oil in the coolant and my dipstick doesn't have any coolant. What is the easiest and best way to replace this plug? Can it be replaced without removing the head (fingers crossed)? Any ideas?

Chris

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Upon further inspection that plug is not a freeze plug. It is a large plug that looks to be threaded on. To get it off, it looks like a large star type socket would work. Anyone know the plug I'm talking about? It is this plug that leaks coolant on the passenger side head. It sits right above the fuel line fitting. For those who have installed a regulated return, you'd know which plug I'm talking about.

Chris

·
Registered
85 Posts
That plug has High pressure oil behind it, Not coolant. the heater hoses run along the top of that head, I would look at them and check to make sure your A/C bypass is not leaking first. coolant running along the top of the HPO rail would appear to be coming from that plug, but I am almost certain the coolant is not coming from that plug.

STROKER

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have my A/C bypass sitting back there and I had though I'd seen coolant coming out of the Bypass valve so I tightened up the worm gear clamps and it seemed to take care of it. This was my first guess too and thought I eliminated that as a possibility. I will definintely look at it again. I didn't have this problem before I put the A/C bypass on a couple of weeks ago, so that tells me I should have another look.

Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts