Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is finally getting cool here in Louisiana. So, I'm running the heater in the mornings. Right about that same time I noticed a coolant leak near the rear of the front right tire. It is leaking in front of the firewall (no evidence of a leak in the cab) at what looks like where the heater hoses connect to the heater core. Never having serviced that area (2005) I figured it had to be the o-rings in the quick connect fittings. I pulled the old o-rings out and sure enough they were distorted with the usual flat spot at the ID. Swapped them out for new o-rings and figured i was done. Well, it is still leaking from the same spot, with no change in leak rate.

What else could it be? That is the only coolant components in that area. Do the quick connect (plastic) fitting give out after a while? I suppose I could remove the two heater hoses and core from the truck and pressure test.

I should point out that the leak is pretty bad. Not a stream, but several drops per second. Loosing about a gallon a day just driving around town a bit.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Hey, are you leaving the ac on? Usually, if using "auto" on the climate control, the ac stays on, unless you physically turn it off... If so, the ac condenser getting cold and then melting off, might be what you're seeing.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,620 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is deffinately coolant. And it is for sure coming from the area where the hoses connect to the heater core. Being 15 years old, I may just replace the hoses and maybe the heater core. Local parts house has all three for just over $100.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts