Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey this is my first post but I have been lurking for some time now, I have recently done an egr delete and now Id like to do a coolant flush I have followed the instructions given, problem is I cannot remove the two drain plugs on the engine block they are both stripped and too tightly rusted,I put some penetrating lube and everything with no luck. I have recently purchased restore and restore plus. My question is can I use these products without having the two drains open and just leaving the radiator drain open to remove the two products. How can I do this to make sure all of the product is out before i put in the rotella thank you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I dont my flush with out the two rear plugs out i Just do more flushes the two drain dosent hold that much water but when doing restore and restore plus make sure you flush all of the chemical out before you put your new coolant in

·
Registered
230 Posts
If you drain the radiator and lower hose you will remove 50% of your current system. Do it 6 times to get a thorough flush. 50/25/12.5/6.25/3.125/1.056%

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
I almost never remove the one for the starter anyway I jut like to leave the other one open to force everything out using pressure

·
Registered
959 Posts
No, you shut the truck off after you have the coolant hot enough to open the thermostat and mix the distilled water with the coolant to dilute it.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
I dont remeber all the steps but when I started to do the flush outs I removed the t-stat opened the drain on the radiator 100%, shoved a garden hose in the degas bottle and ran the truck for a pretty long time. Then after GALLONS of h20 I started with the distelled water. Turned my driveway into a mud pit.....

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Hmmmmm

No, you shut the truck off after you have the coolant hot enough to open the thermostat and mix the distilled water with the coolant to dilute it.
Or you can run it hot enough to open the thermostat same effect

·
Registered
209 Posts
It's probably a good idea to remove the thermostats if you can, if for any reason, to relieve a blocking point in the cooling system. Without the thermostats in, the crap that dislodges during the acid flush will flow out easier.

·
Premium Member
11,038 Posts
heres what i did:

-drained as much coolant as i could with lower hose off.
-put garden hose back in and put 2 qrts of vc-9 and filled with garden hose
-drove around for hr and drained again
-filled with garden water drove around for another hr (tired of fuel cost this point)
-got home drained and this time....
unscrewed drain pet**** valve on bottom drivers side radiator and removed heater core hose from one end and stuff a garden hose with running water in degas bottle turned on truck and while making sure degas bottle is always overflowing gave the truck a few good revs. the water pressure was really good out heater hose core and pet**** valve just make sure water is always overflowing from degas bottle.
-refill with distilled water and closed everything up drove around again.
-drained and refilled with distilled water again and drove around.

had new parts oil cooler, delete studs oil system junk and then filled with distilled water and zerex elc coolant.

i never removed my plugs in the block seemed little invasive.

part two here is what i did and it really helped:

he explains the heater core hose removal and garden hose technique

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
IMO I think it's very important to open the block drains to help get out the heavier crap. The flushes I've done on my truck start off with the block drains closed and then for the last flush I pump in distilled water under pressure while the block drains are open and I always get a fair amount of crap coming out of them even though the water I was dumping out the lower rad hose was clear.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts