Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I recently got an oil change at a local oil change place.

My coolant level was a little low and the guy doing the oil change topped it up with some random coolant (green) that was out of a 50 gallon barrel with no brand name or anything. He probably only put about a quart in but I'm thinking it might be some cheap coolant that will do damage to my truck.

Should I do a flush?

·
Registered
925 Posts
As sensitive as these trucks can be at times, I wouldn't risk it. Not sure how much it takes to throw it off but down the road could also give Ford another reason to deny a warranty claim. Sounds to me like that service station you went to will be paying for a coolant flush and change...

Reactions: HeavyAssault

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yah I agree. Just can't put in green antifreeze and leave it. I'm pretty sure there is a special antifreeze that needs to be added. would maybe take it in and have them check the coolant to see if its off or not.

·
Registered
959 Posts
The 6.7L engine uses a OAT ( Organic Acid Technology) based antifreeze. These are Silicate Free and Nitrite Free. They can provide anti-cavitation protection with out the Nitrites

The green coolant is just the opposite of the above. The silicates can cause silicate gelation and related fallout issues. ( did you ever see the 6.0L plugged EGR coolers)

The Coolant testing procedures say you should flush and refill if you find ANY Nitrites in your coolant. Your test strips should read 0

So based on that I would suggest you flush and refill your coolant system.

Google OAT based Coolants and read up. And I'd probably be asking your oil change place for a refund.

Reactions: HeavyAssault

·
Registered
493 Posts
I went through this when I first bought my truck when I installed the block heater. I added a little bit of regular elc I used in my 7.3l before I knew any better. I took it to the dealer and they said they can flush it but they recommended that I just do it myself. Just buy 4 gallons of coolant from them and go get a bunch of distilled water and flush like you normally would.

I bought the coolant test kits and made sure it was all clear. They make a pretty big deal about the coolant on these so I would make sure it's right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts