Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to do a coolant flush with restore and restore plus. My current deltas are within 15deg and my truck has about 46,000mi on it. My question is how likely is the flush to knock so much crud loose that I actually create a clog? Is there any way to reduce the risk? Or just go for it and hope for the best? Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
IMO, If your deltas are under 15*, skip the chemical flush and do a distilled water only flush, then refill with Ford Gold. You take a chance of clogging you oil cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Imo, you should install a coolant filter, and monitor till 17° or so. Try to get some crap out first.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I am getting the idea that the chemical flush should only be done as a last resort before an oil cooler or EGR cooler clog? I always thought it was a more preventative move...

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
So I am getting the idea that the chemical flush should only be done as a last resort before an oil cooler or EGR cooler clog? I always thought it was a more preventative move...
Yep........not preventative at all. It will clog more.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess my only worry was the coolant filter voiding my extended warranty. I know it shouldn't but you know they'll try anything to get out of doing the work.

·
GET MY ENEMA BUCKET BRO!!
2,068 Posts
Which filter and where do you get them.

My truck has 180k on it and it was a dealer buyback. The coolant looks green and clear but in the resevoir I can see like almost like sand / some small bits of crap. I've been wanting to flush and then put Ford gold in but knew I shouldn't just dive in and now I know why. Sorry to thread hijack. Rather not.start a new one when this is on topic.

Advice on what I should do?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Which filter and where do you get them.

My truck has 180k on it and it was a dealer buyback. The coolant looks green and clear but in the resevoir I can see like almost like sand / some small bits of crap. I've been wanting to flush and then put Ford gold in but knew I shouldn't just dive in and now I know why. Sorry to thread hijack. Rather not.start a new one when this is on topic.

Advice on what I should do?
First off, you need a monitor, then check deltas.
Green coolant will not prevent cavitation, and is likely to cause damage.
Dump, flush with tap, flush with 24gal of distilled, add a coolant filter, refill with concetrate elc with the cat ec-1 rating, recheck deltas, hope for the best.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm planning on a sinister kit. I like the fact that you dont have to buy the ball valves and it is crimped connections

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I've got an xdp kit, I like it. Ball valves, crimped connections. There all about the same.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts