Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a coolant filter on my truck around 6k ago. Its still hot and flowing coolant. On my 6.0 I went through 2-3 filters in the first few thousand miles. Is there really a need on these motors? I mean, I feel every fluid should have a filter on it. It just doesn't seem like as bad of an issue as the 6.0 motors

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
i also have a coolant filter. I think it is good insurance for the cooling system. I say its worth it :thumb:

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,738 Posts
If it were up to me everyone of these motor would have one from the factory. Sand casting leaches a lot over time and will destroy water pumps.

Yes its that important.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I cut my first filter apart (with the special tool for oil filter inspections) and it looked like the beach in there. Worth it IMO.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I did my first coolant filter change and would like to see what is inside the old one. How could I open it without adding particles during the process as when grinding, sawing, etc?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They have a special tool for it, Just not sure where to find it.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I see it is worth getting so where can you get the best one at?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I have the kit from dieselsite, havnt installed it yet but im very happy with the quality and the price. Sinister diesel also offers one that get good remarks as well.

·
I am that hot
1,762 Posts
I have yet to cut open mine and it hasnt been changed since I got it. I have to change it guess I just keep forgetting. Mine is from dieselsite. Awesome kit :)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the dieselsite kit mounted on the frame rail behind the right front wheel well. I might actually have a big enough pipe cutter. Never even thought of that...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Coolant filter cut out

Here are some photos of the first cutted filter, it was used during 3 month. It is much sand considering that the flow volume trough the filter isn't much, its filtrating cartridge has only one exit hole of 5/32". It should be tiny because the filtration route is a bypass to the cooling system. That is for the Dieselsite system.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
i also think its necessary. Here is a picture of mine...

Attachments

·
I am that hot
1,762 Posts
Mine was terrible looking.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts