Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my Sinister coolant filter kit and reading the instructions state to attach hose to the heater core line. My heater core line has something attached (I am guessing a valve) to it with a vacume hose attached to it. The sinister kit can be t-ed onto either side of the "valve". Question is: does it matter which side of the "valve" with the vacume hose i tee into? Does cooant only flow though the heater core when the heat is being used in the truck? Thanks Moter is an 2003 6.0 Stroker

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm pretty sure you want it on the side of the valve thats closer to the front of the truck, that way it gets coolant all the time. I think that valve stops coolant flow to the heater core when your AC is on.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm pretty sure you want it on the side of the valve thats closer to the front of the truck, that way it gets coolant all the time. I think that valve stops coolant flow to the heater core when your AC is on.
Thats what I was thinking too but I wanted to be sure... The hose reaches both sides of the valve and the instructions sent by Sinister does not specify.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I used the DieselSite kit and in their instructions it said before the "valve". And when your done with the install, double check that you didn't knock that little gray vacuum line off the "valve"

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
got it done and it looks great!!! No leaks!!! I will change the filter after 1000 miles and see what it looks like.... thanks again for all your help

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
got it done and it looks great!!! No leaks!!! I will change the filter after 1000 miles and see what it looks like.... thanks again for all your help
It could clog before then. Just feel the "back to degas" hose every once in a while to make sure it is as hot as the one coming into the filter.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Not trying to hijack your thread but I put the sinister kit on my truck back in Feb. After doing the coolant flush. I keep feeling the hoses and they feel the same temp. According to the instructions I need to replace the filter every three months the first year. So if there doesn't seem to be any difference in hose temps should I still replace the filter every three months.

Thanks

·
Registered
208 Posts
I look in the degas bottle with it running and you can see the trickle in of coolant. When it stops trickling, I replace the filter.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
You know, I did change mine after 300 miles, then again after 1000 miles.

First one did have some sand in it, not quite a teaspoon.

Second one was the same way.

Third one plugged totally at around 5000 miles. Found quite a bit of "stuff" on element and I poured out the fluid that was in the filter can into a glass jar and found all sorts of stuff in it. (had to check my records, this is when I changed my last one)

After some thought, I waisted at least one filter just out of curiosity.

I'm not changing again until it stops filtering.

Here is a list of coolant filters you can use:

COOLANT FILTERS
Fleetguard WF-2077
Baldwin B5134
John Deere RE11992
Caterpillar 9Y4528
Cummins 3300721
Wix 24070
NAPA 4070
AC-Delco WF-108
Fram PR3383
Donaldson P554685
Alliance (Freightliner) WF2077
CarQuest 89070

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
we are leaving for vacation in Colorado in two weeks. I will be towing our 10k 5'er so I think I will bring a second wix filter with me and change it when I get there.. 675 miles each way towing across kansas 100 degree heat ought to circulate that coolant pretty good. I will cut it open and see what type of junk I have it in. Was going to wait till I returned home to change it but prob not now.....

·
Registered
145 Posts
You know, I did change mine after 300 miles, then again after 1000 miles.

First one did have some sand in it, not quite a teaspoon.

Second one was the same way.

Third one plugged totally at around 5000 miles. Found quite a bit of "stuff" on element and I poured out the fluid that was in the filter can into a glass jar and found all sorts of stuff in it. (had to check my records, this is when I changed my last one)

After some thought, I waisted at least one filter just out of curiosity.

I'm not changing again until it stops filtering.

Here is a list of coolant filters you can use:

COOLANT FILTERS
Fleetguard WF-2077
Baldwin B5134
John Deere RE11992
Caterpillar 9Y4528
Cummins 3300721
Wix 24070
NAPA 4070
AC-Delco WF-108
Fram PR3383
Donaldson P554685