Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I’ve been posting different topics lately as I continue to work on my 6.0. Anyway, I’m going to be replacing my fan clutch with a new Ford clutch, and water pump with a new bullet proof one while I’ve got it apart. Right now my truck has red extended life coolant in it, and the place that did the headgaskets before I bought the truck from a guy a work with put it in. My question is, should I still use it when I go to refill the system, or should I go back to the Ford gold coolant? Or any other good kind/quality? Thanks in advance.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,964 Posts
EC-1 rated ELC coolant only. Do NOT go back to the Ford Gold coolant/

·
Registered
353 Posts
I use the Red Rotella ELC coolant. It meets CAT spec. I buy the concentrated gallons off Amazon and then use distilled water to make it a 50/50 mix.

Reactions: Sock Puppet

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use the Red Rotella ELC coolant. It meets CAT spec. I buy the concentrated gallons off Amazon and then use distilled water to make it a 50/50 mix.
That is what is in it now. The red rotella stuff. I’m not sure if I should flush out the system and put in new or just drain and re use what’s in the truck. The heads were studded 2 years ago and that is when the coolant was put in. I think it will still be ok? I do not have a coolant filter

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
That is what is in it now. The red rotella stuff. I’m not sure if I should flush out the system and put in new or just drain and re use what’s in the truck. The heads were studded 2 years ago and that is when the coolant was put in. I think it will still be ok? I do not have a coolant filter
IMO, you don't need to if you're confident that you're replacing it with the same fluid; however, my first thought at the end of the day when my head hits the pillow after finishing the job off by myself, would be, "I wish I would have flushed it." So if the Fumoto Valves are not installed, I'd want to install those. Depending on the deltas before the fluid drain and what's in the bottom of the bucket at the end of the drain, I may even consider a backflush.

Personally, I have a BPD air cooled oil cooler, and did a good flush to get the gold out and put the ELC in. A year later, I did my fan clutch and water pump and I simply reused the ELC I had drained out. Don't think I had to add any back.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
If your ECT/EOT differential is good, I'd be tempted to drain it out into clean containers and re-use it.

Reactions: bismic

·
Registered
393 Posts
not wanting to hijack the thread but would anyone add Redline's Water Wetter to get a bit more cooling power?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
not wanting to hijack the thread but would anyone add Redline's Water Wetter to get a bit more cooling power?

I never have added anything to my coolant, other than more 50/50 mix and don't know of anyone that has.

I have never heard of that stuff....must be next to the muffler bearings and snake oil LOL.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
No.

When I have pure water in there for a coolant flush, the cooling is actually quite a bit better. There's somewhere between two and three degrees different, but pure water will corrode out the block. I would like to know what cools better than water that is non-corrosive.

So, to use this new stuff, it would need to say CAT-1 ELC on the bottle, be the same rice as CAT-q ELC, and I won't be the first on my block to try it either. After its been in someone else's engine for a couple of years I may try it when in 5 more years my coolant change comes due.

·
Registered
393 Posts

Here is what i ask about. It is a Red Line product so, as a general rule, they don't make crap.

I am not endorsing it, just asking opinions.
I used it in my Trans Am that was having trouble at highway speeds staying cool and it was effective in it.

I guess nobody gambles with the 6 liters...and for good reason.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,964 Posts
I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
611 Posts

Here is what i ask about. It is a Red Line product so, as a general rule, they don't make crap.

I am not endorsing it, just asking opinions.
I used it in my Trans Am that was having trouble at highway speeds staying cool and it was effective in it.

I guess nobody gambles with the 6 liters...and for good reason.
Motocross riders will use the stuff. There is absolutely no need to use it in your truck. Almost snake oil IMO. Meaning that it works, it's just not needed and a waist of money.
Like everyone else says, just use the elc and distilled water & call it good.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have seen and used the Water Wetter. It's basically a surfactant that breaks the surface tension of the water in the coolant. I have never really seen a great improvmant using it in gas cars. I would not put it in our trucks. I'm not sure how it would react to the ELC formula it is really designed for cars running straight water or a glycol mix.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
It's basically a surfactant that breaks the surface tension
Has this been proven to work in a marriage where the husband speaks without thinking? Asking for a friend....

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I've run a EC-1 rated red coolant since 2011 after I did an extensive flush before a new oil cooler. I change it every two years and I'm still running the same ford oil cooler that I put in June 2011 and 120k miles later it still has a 4-5* delta even while towing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts