Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

221 - 233 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dang

I have an IPR manifold I'd be willing to sell you. It just came off my truck when I switched to the BPD oil cooler relocate kit. The IPR manifold only has a couple thousand miles on it and is almost new. Let me know if you're interested, it's a great setup.
Just received my IPR setup the other day. I am sure someone here would like to buy the manifold. Thanks for the offer.:grin:

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Is the Cat EC1 ELC compatible with the Ford Gold coolant or do you need a complete flush when you do the swap? I am finishing my HPOP swap and remote BPD cooler install. I was planning on topping the motor off with distilled water. Running it, draining the distilled and then swapping in the CAT coolant.
I would personally flush it. Thats the only way IMHO. Isn't hard especially if youre that deep in.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Is the Cat EC1 ELC compatible with the Ford Gold coolant or do you need a complete flush when you do the swap? I am finishing my HPOP swap and remote BPD cooler install. I was planning on topping the motor off with distilled water. Running it, draining the distilled and then swapping in the CAT coolant.
I would do a complete flush. If you just drain, there's two to three gallons that don't drain out and stay in the hoses and other places, so you're just getting 2/3 or so of the fluid. I flushed mine when I swapped it for that reason.

·
Premium Member
7,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
No, they don't mix. Do as many fill N drains with distilled as possible, followed by 3 1/2 gal of ELC concentrate then finish with distilled and you'll be good. Do as many as you can and open both block plugs to get as much gold out as possible. You can flush it if you want, but if you use a garden hose then it's still a good idea to do a few distilled fill N drains when you're done to get the minerals from the hose out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dumb question: if you are changing coolant types, should you:

[ul]
[li] change the radiator and heater hoses?[/li]
[li] change the degas bottle cap?[/li]
[li] change the degas bottle hose?[/li]
[/ul]

My thermostat has failed open, so I might as well take the opportunity to switch to Rotella Ultra ELC. EOT/ECT spread is at most 9 degrees rolling uphill unloaded, so I think I’m safe doing a flush. I can’t even get the truck up to temperature on level ground to try the 65mph unloaded test, even after an hour of driving. My truck is a 2003 with 220,000 miles.

Thanks,
Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Dumb question: if you are changing coolant types, should you:

[ul]
[li] change the radiator and heater hoses?[/li]
[li] change the degas bottle cap?[/li]
[li] change the degas bottle hose?[/li]
[/ul]

My thermostat has failed open, so I might as well take the opportunity to switch to Rotella Ultra ELC. EOT/ECT spread is at most 9 degrees rolling uphill unloaded, so I think I’m safe doing a flush. I can’t even get the truck up to temperature on level ground to try the 65mph unloaded test, even after an hour of driving. My truck is a 2003 with 220,000 miles.

Thanks,
Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No need to change the hoses. If you do change the cap, go with OEM motocraft.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ordered some Rotella ELC NF from Wallmart today to replace my Gold coolant.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I couldnt find a better link, but I used to use this chart to see the difference in the composition of the different coolants. I hope it helps to just see the differences. If you do a google search for the following it will take you there. It will show which ones are HOAT and OAT. Search this: antifreeze-coolant-technology-cross-reference-chart-boyer-petroleum

·
Premium Member
7,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
I couldnt find a better link, but I used to use this chart to see the difference in the composition of the different coolants. I hope it helps to just see the differences. If you do a google search for the following it will take you there. It will show which ones are HOAT and OAT. Search this: antifreeze-coolant-technology-cross-reference-chart-boyer-petroleum
That's about the same thing as I posted at the beginning of this sticky.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Hello, I apologize that i didn't read this entire thread. I have the following and am needing a coolant change.

Banks Big Hoss Bundle
Banks intake
Banks Intercooler
Diesel tech "Bullet Proof" kit
Bullet proof EGR cooler
BPD External Oil Cooler system
Coolant filter bybass system
ARP head studs

It will be my first coolant change and am not sure what to go with or what is even in it now. I really didn't want to do a full flush right now but from what I have read it sounds like I might have too since I don't know what is currently in the truck. Any suggestions here would be great, thank you.

·
Premium Member
7,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
Hello, I apologize that i didn't read this entire thread. I have the following and am needing a coolant change.

Banks Big Hoss Bundle
Banks intake
Banks Intercooler
Diesel tech "Bullet Proof" kit
Bullet proof EGR cooler
BPD External Oil Cooler system
Coolant filter bybass system
ARP head studs

It will be my first coolant change and am not sure what to go with or what is even in it now. I really didn't want to do a full flush right now but from what I have read it sounds like I might have too since I don't know what is currently in the truck. Any suggestions here would be great, thank you.
Which the BPD oil cooler do you have, the relocate or air/liquid? If you have the relocate I'd suggest getting rid of the sinister by-pass and going with the IPR full flow so you can filter the coolant before the cooler. If you have the air/liquid cooler than you're fine with the by-pass...You can just go to Sam's or a Dollar store and get 20-30 gallons of distilled water and 4 gallons of a good ELC concentrate. Tractor Supply carries Rotella ELC for $17.99 gal.
Drain your cooling system, open the block plugs. Close, fill with distilled, run a few minutes, drain..repeat.
When you're down to a couple gallons of distilled after the last drain, add 3 1/2 gallons of concentrate then top off with distilled, that should have you right at 50/50

Cat
Rotella
Delo
Texaco Havoline
If you have the air/liquid cooler you can use Zerex too, it has silicates so most guys avoid it with a liquid/liquid cooler

There are a few other ELC's that are OAT instead of OAT (2-EH) Best not to mix different additive packages so it's a good idea to put a label on the degas bottle showing what's inside. You'll also have a half gal of concentrate left over, top that off with distilled and you'll have a gal of 50/50 for future needs.
That chart I posted shows different formulations

Attachments

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Which the BPD oil cooler do you have, the relocate or air/liquid? If you have the relocate I'd suggest getting rid of the sinister by-pass and going with the IPR full flow so you can filter the coolant before the cooler. If you have the air/liquid cooler than you're fine with the by-pass...You can just go to Sam's or a Dollar store and get 20-30 gallons of distilled water and 4 gallons of a good ELC concentrate. Tractor Supply carries Rotella ELC for $17.99 gal.
Drain your cooling system, open the block plugs. Close, fill with distilled, run a few minutes, drain..repeat.
When you're down to a couple gallons of distilled after the last drain, add 3 1/2 gallons of concentrate then top off with distilled, that should have you right at 50/50

Cat
Rotella
Delo
Texaco Havoline
If you have the air/liquid cooler you can use Zerex too, it has silicates so most guys avoid it with a liquid/liquid cooler
There are a few other ELC's that are OAT instead of OAT (2-EH) Best not to mix different additive packages so it's a good idea to put a label on the degas bottle showing what's inside. You'll also have a half gal of concentrate left over, top that off with distilled and you'll have a gal of 50/50 for future needs.
That chart I posted shows different formulations

Thank you! The truck came equipped with the Bullet Proof kit on it. Diesel Tech in San Jacinto did the install. I believe it is the external relocation oil cooler. The oil filter is now up front, driver side, behind the front bumper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Two questions
1st for Smitty
What do you think of Diesel Tech.
They have been recommended by a coworker but would like to get your opinion as well.

2nd, I watched a youtube video which described in detail all of the different ford coolants from the old IDI up to the current 6.7?
The guy had sail there is a poly organic (he was an Amsoil rep, so obviously mentioned it) coolant which is compatible with all coolant and model years/engines.
Anyone heard of this?

Thoughts?

221 - 233 of 233 Posts