Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 233 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There seems to be questions that come up regularly about the right coolant for your 6.0 or 6.4 Most guys recommend Cat EC-1 ELC because the silicates in Ford Gold/G05 have been suspected of dropping out of suspension and clogging oil coolers. That said, the Zerex ELC has silicates, it looks like it's the only Cat rated coolant that does. Also some brands have different corrosion packages so it's not a good idea to mix coolants. I found this chart some time back and it may help you guys with coolant questions. http://www.eetcorp.com/antifreeze/Coolants_matrix.pdf

The matrix thread has been taken down, I tried to attach it here with an edit but for some reason it's not uploading. I did attach it on the last page of this sticky along with some flush instructions, good info on the Fumoto's and back flushing the oil cooler. However I highly recommend disregarding the chemical flush section and use Liquid Cascade dishwasher detergent, the stuff with Dawn is the best. (Don't use Dawn dish soap!) Make sure after any flush with a garden hose that you do 2 or 3 (or 4) fill N drains with straight distilled water since you can never drain everything out. Then when you're ready for coolant Use 3 1/2- 4 gallons of concentrate, then top off with distilled. Don't use 50/50 or it'll be weak because of the inability to drain all the water.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 05 F350 6.0 Powerstroke I bought a few years back. I went to Wal-Mart one day and was pulling out of the parking spot driving forward, when I ran into a handicap cart someone had left in the right front blind spot (have 3.5" lift). It cut my lower radiator hose and lost all coolant. Fortunately was only a mile from the house. Repaired the hose..went to local Advance Store..guy says "computer says Ford Gold coolant." Put it in...ran for 2 days then it starts belching smoke and I'm losing water like no one's business. Do research, find that the EGR and Oil Cooler are bad? So, pulled the oil cooler and EGR...the coolant had turned into gel like baby diaper stuff and clogged everything. No repair possible except to replace. $900 later after extensive research, I use only CAT Red 50 now and it has been fine since. It seems only the CAT coolant has the make up needed to handle the heat and stresses for everyday driving as well as pulling - at least from my experience.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
675 Posts
For some reason I can't see the chart, I'm supposed to buy the caterpillar coolant today and wonder if that is a good choice in the chart?

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
5,721 Posts
I myself bought the CAT EC1 because that is what everyone else is copying. Why not use the real stuff, that said if I couldn't get it I would go with the Shell Rotella and nothing else. I just don't trust generic stuff at all.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I chose the Rotella ELC because of price (~$15/gallon of concentrated) and availability since it's carried at most Tractor Supply stores. I've used Shell products for many years and never had a complaint.

·
Registered
675 Posts
So rotella elc is better than the cat brand?

·
Premium Member
7,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
6.2 Convert
1,385 Posts
When I switched to Cat ELC I noticed the rusty looking residue in the bottom of my degas bottle disappeared within a couple weeks. Has anyone noticed if the Rotella or Zerex accomplishes the same thing?

·
Premium Member
7,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I switched to Cat ELC I noticed the rusty looking residue in the bottom of my degas bottle disappeared within a couple weeks. Has anyone noticed if the Rotella or Zerex accomplishes the same thing?
Never noticed it, maybe the red just hides the rust? Zerex is different though, part of the reason for this thread

·
6.2 Convert
1,385 Posts
Never noticed it, maybe the red just hides the rust? Zerex is different though, part of the reason for this thread
It's definitely not hidden, it's gone! If I do some work that requires draining the coolant, the empty bottle is clean as a whistle. Something in the Cat coolant was able to remove it.

·
Premium Member
7,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good to know

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
Luckily, I have that in stock...

·
Premium Member
7,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I say brand XYZ is the best without so much as a hypothesis, data, or anecdotal experience.
Luckily, I have that in stock...

Everyone knows you can't use green XYZ ! It'll mess up the defibralinker valve and ruin the muffler joint. I'd only put that in a 12V

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
Rather than bring back a old thread I thought I would ask here @SparkyF250 :thumb:
I'm due for a oil cooler backflush and would like to install valves this go around on the plugs.
I know the fumoto part # is F108N anyone know what the ez-drain part # is..
I like the O-Ring idea better overall.. PS would a 90 degree valve work better on passenger side ..:dunno:

·
Premium Member
7,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rather than bring back a old thread I thought I would ask here @SparkyF250 :thumb:
I'm due for a oil cooler backflush and would like to install valves this go around on the plugs.
I know the fumoto part # is F108N anyone know what the ez-drain part # is..
I like the O-Ring idea better overall.. PS would a 90 degree valve work better on passenger side ..:dunno:
The Fumoto is 16 mm so maybe this EZ Engine Oil Drain Valve EZ-108(16mm-1.5) & L-Shaped Hose End L-001 COMBO PACK | eBay I'm not sure though

Reactions: BridgerMT

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
5,721 Posts
I know my cooling system is clean as a whistle. The CAT EC1 is good stuff.

It wont turn the coolant tank into that funky yellow like the Ford Gold does. Mines 3 years old now and nice and clear.

·
Premium Member
1,711 Posts
Hmm anyone have. Procedure to back flush? So question. I bought this truck 10 k ago it now has 122k on it. I have no idea of the coolant has ever been swapped. Would it b worth it to do a bAck flush with a coolant flush when doing the water pump? I need to swap the serp belt while it's all out and figure it's a good time to swap the coolant. Deltas are within 5-8 normal driving unloaded at sea level

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
Everyone knows you can't use green XYZ ! It'll mess up the defibralinker valve and ruin the muffler joint. I'd only put that in a 12V
Well, then it's a good thing that XYZ brand coolant is offered it in a tasteful red/orange paisley...

Hmm anyone have. Procedure to back flush?
Here you go courtesy @NYC F-350 's signature:

https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/attachments/general-6-0l-discussion/498658d1452373950-how-2006-high-idle-mod-w-switch-cooling_system_flush_v1-0.pdf

Reactions: SparkyF250
1 - 20 of 233 Posts