Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,123 Posts
Great content right here.

thank you all.

going to flush with distilled many times, then get in the elc...

Just be aware that simply draining and refilling has proven to not be enough on the 6.0ls... When you drain and refill and drive you only allow more sediment to be pushed into the oil cooler potentially clogging it more/making things worse. Rarely does the old way of drain/refill work on a 6.0l hence most having to do it more than one or replace the oil cooler afterwards. I would look into a diy or preuilt backflush kit just in case Its not any harder than the work involved with draining and refilling the system and if you don't clean the system out right the first time you can research it yourself here. Its not uncommon for 2 oil coolers to be replaced all because the system wasn't full cleaned to begin with. Happened to me on my first 6.0l and THOUSANDS of other threads here show the same. My second 6.0l I was way more prepared and actually saved time and money by just doing it thoroughly and right the first time.

Best of luck on the drain and refil i really do hope it helps but just be prepared if it doesn't help or it gets worse down the road. The coolant systems in these truck are infamous for driving folks nuts all because it wasn't thouroughly done right the first time.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
7,969 Posts
I had no clogging of my oil cooler years ago when I switched from the Gold to the Rotella ELC Ultra. I switched at about the 5 year mark of ownership. All I did was flush with distilled water. That works well if there are no contaminants or corrosion products to speak of in the system.

·
Registered
38 Posts

thank you all.

thank you all.

I think what ChrisSki is getting at is, get the easy drain fumoto valves. The starter removal is a bit time consuming because of one bolt that is rather tricky to get too in my opinion....but well worth the effort. If you remove your lower hose to flush your radiator do it gently. My best guess is I possibly disturbed the lower tank while removing/installing the hose and it started leaking. Well I guess a new radiator (Lifetime warranty)is better than a flushed one lol. I also back flushed my heater core with the block valves opened and the lower radiator hose off using a 1/2 pvc hose setup....before I started my distilled flush. If you decide to do the heater flush you may get drips for a while by the rear passenger wheel, don't freak out like I did thinking the heater core was leaking.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had no clogging of my oil cooler years ago when I switched from the Gold to the Rotella ELC Ultra. I switched at about the 5 year mark of ownership. All I did was flush with distilled water. That works well if there are no contaminants or corrosion products to speak of in the system.
I had also done the standard flush with no ill effects.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts