Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I see a lot of people on here are running CAT coolant. So, I decided that's what I'm going to replace mine with. I went down to my dealer and checked for it and they had the 50/50 and the straight (both ELC).

Now, here's the problem: Everyone says run the red but not 50/50 (not that the 50/50 is bad). Well, the 50/50 is red (like maraschino cherries) and the regular ELC is more of a pink-violet color. Plus, the 50/50 is almost the exact same price ($1 difference!). So, the 50/50 would be pretty much twice the price as the straight ELC.

Which one do I run?

Also, give some recommendations on good coolant flushes to get AND where to get them (exact location).

I'll probably do this at my house and go ahead and get a coolant filter too (probably the Sinister).

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Get the one with a CAT EC-1 rating, concentrate, then you dilute to fifty/fifty in the end

I made my Samsung SGH-I997 send this.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Buy the concentrate. When you do the flush you will never get all the water out so buying 50/50 will put your coolant to water ratio under50% coolant.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, that's what I wanted to get was the concentrate exactly for the reasons y'all stated (plus, why pay so much for the 50/50 which is 50% water?).

So, the color sounds right? That's the only thing I was unsure of. Everyone says red but to me that concentrate wasn't red (they had samples in 2 clear bottles for everyone to see).

4 gallons should fill it right (plus 4 water)?

Flush recommendations?

Also, anything good or bad to say about coolant filter brands?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
For myself I have my EGR deleted along with the coolers and even though I read to put 3 gallons of concentrate and then top off with distilled water I didn't do that :doh: and now I have spent the last little while trying to get it up to about 50/50 or so. If your EGR coolers are still functioning then I believe I read 4 gallons on concentrate and top of with distilled but you may want to check for sure on that. As for he color, as long as it is ec-1 rated you should be ok.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
For the flush I didn't use any chemicals due to reading posts of people having issues of the oil cooler clogging after the chemical flushes. Not everyone had that issue but the couple people that did sort of scared me away from the chemicals for now. I just drained, filled with tap water and got it up to operating temps for awhile. I did this about5 times. Then the same amount of times with distilled and after the last one I added coolant. I did it over the course of a couple days.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I hate to burst everyones bubble but elc is elc doesnt matter the color or name on the bottle... Im an ASE master tech been to so many classes on coolant and all the same conclusion elc is elc, green is for cars, throw dex cool in the trash and keep up with your services buy a bottle of strips check your coolant every oil change and if you really want to go cheap on coolant buy green throw an additive filter on and boom you have elc in the making just make sure you keep your additives in check

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I hate to burst everyones bubble but elc is elc doesnt matter the color or name on the bottle... Im an ASE master tech been to so many classes on coolant and all the same conclusion elc is elc, green is for cars, throw dex cool in the trash and keep up with your services buy a bottle of strips check your coolant every oil change and if you really want to go cheap on coolant buy green throw an additive filter on and boom you have elc in the making just make sure you keep your additives in check
The reason people switch to a cat elc is because of the low maintenance unlike the ford gold. There are no nitrate levels to keep on top of with the ec-1 rated coolant. It is when the nitrate levels drop below the 300ppm level that issues start arising. Had I not been in these forums I wouldn't have even known that I needed to keep on top of those. That's the reason I switched anyways.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Personally I just put this type of coolant in because of the ease of maintenance and not the "elc" term of it. I did a flush of the ford gold and found that the nitrate level dropped very quickly so I figured this would be a better option since a lot of people were talking about it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I see... Funny though at cat school and cummins school and international classes they all say if its elc its elc use it and use your strips guess I will take a closer look at this stuff im using Zerex because its what my shop has in bulk guess I need to read the fine print

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Maybe when they're talking about HD ELCs. ELC is just an acronym, a basic short term for a coolant/antifreeze that lasts longer than others. It is no rating, designation, or technical term that in anyway proves it is better than another. Just like HD vs. SD, same thing, different letters.
When you start actually looking at ratings, that's when you notice an "ELC" is not an "ELC."

·
Registered
79 Posts
I see... Funny though at cat school and cummins school and international classes they all say if its elc its elc use it and use your strips guess I will take a closer look at this stuff im using Zerex because its what my shop has in bulk guess I need to read the fine print
I went with Zerex too, it has CAT EC-1 rated right on the jug. I bought it at the local Napa, but they had to have it shipped in... And charged me 5gals for a case of 6 (probably didn't hurt to have wifey pick it up with some other heavy duty stuff I needed. I can imagine those guys fumbling when she was in there talking about stuff they had no idea about! :D )

For the flush, I used the cummins-made Restore and Restore+. I have an ro/di unit at home so I used all de-ionized water and flushed about 10 times between each step; probably 50 gals total. I disposed of the first bunch of flushes at a local shop, all others went into the gravel by the tractor barn. The cummins stuff will break down quick in the gravel and is not really toxic.... Plus there's a lot of other fluids there already.

I didn't get a coolant filter yet, but I think flushing so many times helped remove a bunch of stuff. Plus, my truck had the Ford gold flushed at 40k mile intervals by the previous owner. This also eased my worrying about the oil cooler clogging.

I would definitely use a chemical flush. It cleaned a bunch of stuff out of the system. I drained the chemical flushes into a bucket, and each one had junk that settled out. There was also a bunch of floaters after the Restore+ that I could see in the degas bottle.

I think it also helped get that stuff out by separating the lower radiator hoses first, since I found out it drains the degas bottle faster than the radiator or the driver's side block plug. I opened the latter two after the lower hoses; all three each time. A little o-ring grease on the hose o-ring helps slipping it apart and together.

A coolant filter is a good idea, I just didn't have the funds at the moment. I will get one soon.

Hope that helps.

------
MT

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
I also flushed with the VC9 and distilled water. It flushed a ton of crap out. I then refilled with the peak final charge coolant and distilled water. ALso running a coolant filter

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I should have clarified that I wanted CAT ELC not because it was ELC, but because of the rest of the qualities it possesses.

ELC (Extended Life Coolant) on its own is not a specification per se.

After reading about how bad the Ford Gold coolant was I needed to find an alternative. A lot of people run CAT ELC and have great results. That's why I'm choosing it.

Here's some further reading if you want to know more (OP had an issue with EOT and ECT delta being too large even after changing a lot of parts). This is the first response that gets to the heart of the matter (post #198):

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-...er-still-difference-temps-20.html#post2009133

·
Registered
162 Posts
I also flushed with the VC9 and distilled water. It flushed a ton of crap out. I then refilled with the peak final charge coolant and distilled water. ALso running a coolant filter
Was the Peak final charge you used a 50/50 elc-1? I seen it at the local farm store I think.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Was the Peak final charge you used a 50/50 elc-1? I seen it at the local farm store I think.

No i used the concentrate

·
Registered
11,152 Posts

No i used the concentrate
You want the concentrate because adding 50/50 to a bunch of water doesn't wind up leaving 50/50.
Also, it's CAT EC-1.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts