Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to trade in my beloved 7.3L Roll A-long and my 06' Cummins on a brand new F350 King Ranch 4x4 with no more than $15k out of pocket.

Is it worth it? Would be the last truck I owned. I was just going to keep my 7.3L and throw some money into her to make her totally *****in (backup camera, **** like that).

And I know and trust my 7.3L, so what makes a 6.7L better? THE NEW TRUCK IS AWESOME. There is no doubt, but I am iffy on the engine. Will it last me 500,000 miles? Or will it end up like the dreaded 6.0L?

Please convince me. I am torn on what to do. Keep 7.3L with 240k miles thats a beautiful truck, and I can put some money into it. Or go buy a brand new gorgeous truck, that I am unsure about on trusting the engine on......

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am also iffy on things like a plastic oil pan, etc. Seems like they continue to cheap stuff out where it counts and you end up paying for goofy **** like power folding mirrors. Am I right or wrong? I would LOVE a new truck but am concerned with the longivity of the truck. Can I have it 25 years from now and it be in top running condition without spending a ton of $$$?? The 7.3L will, so will these?

Also concerned with buying a model thats already a year old. Ehh..? Help.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I sold by 2002 F350-7.3 and bought a 2011 6.7 F350. I have 56,700 trouble free miles on it so far. As much as I loved by 7.3, it simply could not perform like the 6.7 does. It is not only the dramatic difference in power, but the 6 speed auto vs. the 4 speed auto in terms of towing. The new truck is quiet, strong and reliable.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I went from a trouble free 6.0 to a 2012 6.7 and I am incredibly pleased with my decision. I actually trusted my 6.0 99%, and I'm building a fast trust with the 6.7. It's really a night and day difference from the 6.0, and I can only imagine what it's like compared to a 7.3

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I went from a used 6.0 with a cracked head, blown gaskets (due to a tow tune I never put there without being studded), brand new glow plugs that needed to be replaced, an air leak on my turbo up-pipe and wayyy too much front end work to a used 2012 6.7 with 13,000 miles on it. This may be a biased opinion, I've driven 7.3s at work and hands down I will say the 6.7 every day of the week. I love the performance of this thing, it has performance comparable to my Challenger SRT8. It's absolutely unbelievable! The only thing that I don't like is how quiet it is. As many problems as my 6.0 had I loved it with a straight pipe but I'm worried about my warranty with a straight pipe and tuner.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I went from a Tundra to a 6.7 SD. So, I am very quality conscious and if you research you'll find information showing that the 6.7 has the highest ratings amongst diesels. I've been around 7.3s my entire life as my Dad has had them (for his construction company and his personal 5th wheel hauler). They are great. But, I am pretty sure he loves my truck. He spent big bucks on his horse hauler to make it pull like a freight train. And yet, it's nowhere near as refined as my 6.7.

So...will it last 500,000? Well, I think the electronics will go before the engine. I bought a lariat with bells and whistles and those areas are historically problematic over time. But, I wanted heated/cooled seats and power this n that. If you want fewer issues and 500,000 miles...buy a base model. Skip the power this n that. But, that's no fun! Who wants to crank a window up (if they even offer that)? I have 6500 miles on mine. It's an awesome truck. It puts a big smile on my face. I just love the torque.
For $15K, you won't be upside down on the truck. You could always get off from under it if necessary (and ride a bike...I guess). But, at least you're not writing a big check each month or sweating it. I think too many people do buy more than they should afford....they sacrifice retirement savings for their ride....bad financial decision. But, anyone will tell you vehicles are not a good investment. More like a necessary evil...with great marketing to help us spend our money unwisely LOL!

Reactions: '086.4LDiEsEl'

·
Registered
965 Posts
I had 1st month 2000 with the 7.3L and put nearly 100,000 miles on that. Had a early 2003 6.0L and a 2006 6.0L that I put 108,000 miles on and now my 2011 6.7L that is now at 68,000 miles and doing great.

My 2011 truck has had fewer problems than ANY of the previous trucks. It is way more comfortable and has way better creature comforts. But like the post above, I'm sure the electronics will not last 10 + years. Navigation, power mirrors, windows, seats etc will all need some replacements over time.

I don't keep my trucks 10 years. 4-5 years is what plan and 150,000 miles. and so far I think this truck will do that just fine.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Would you like a new 6.7 you ask?? Drive one and you'll have the answer to your question..
As far as plastic oil pans and stuff like that I think thats the way to go in my opinion.. Metal doesn't stick around for years. It's possable maybe it could crack way down the road but Im willing to bet it will out last metal ones esecially if your in a area that used salt during the winter.

I've had a 7.3 and a 6.0 (Trouble free) before my newest 6.7 and I've seen a lot of good changes threw the years To be honist I had problems with my 7.3 and none with my 6.0 They both had around 80,000 when I traded them in.

One other thing I've noticed Its almost better to keep these trucks about 6 years then get a new one if you are able. At least they are worth about half the price you payed when you trade them in. If I would of waited another 5 years to trade in my 6.0 it wouldn't of been worth much and I would not been able to afford a new one. Or if you wait longer you Will have to start putting money into them to keep them going and we all know how much that can rack up fast. then before you know it you spent way too much on a truck that isn't worth anything now

·
Registered
20 Posts
And as far as plastic pans 12's and newer went to stamped steel on oil pan and diff cover. From what I have saw people talking about on this sit and looking at 12's on the lots.

·
Registered
388 Posts
3yrs. old friend. >:)

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Not sure the motor will last 500k routinely like a lot of 7.3s are doing 300k reliably...but I will say I love my 6.7, its just worlds nicer and drives better and smoother than a 7.3..the newer motors really like to be worked and pampered on their fluid changes. I do miss the simplicity of the 7.3 however.

·
Premium Member
10,247 Posts
List all the problems you had with the 7.3L motor. Then remind yourself NOTHING is perfect.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
If you haven't been convinced yet.....
I bought my 2015 in September of '15. I had my 2008 paid off and a lot more money in my pocket not dealing with monthly payments on a new one. Now, some may ask why I bought a 2015....? my 2008 was on its second motor hitting 300k miles (rough miles). To make a long story short, I graduated college with a BA in engineering in the Fall of 2014 and within a couple of months, got a job, working for a Structural Engineer. One morning on my way to work my '08 makes a weird sound while turning, I think to myself "it's nothing serious", then another morning my horn goes off! just out of the blue, truck off, key out of the ignition, I get a little mad disconnect the horn and head to work. another morning notice the truck is leaking more coolant than normal, I add coolant and head to work.

On my way to work at the end of that week, I start to think about something, the '08 is aging and not once has left me stranded not even left me dead on the road or ran out of fuel. One reason for that was because I always made sure to keep up with maintenance, fortunately I now have a mostly desk job and unfortunately don't have the luxury of working on my own time like I used too.

In conclusion, I probably would still be driving my '08 and would have addressed the issues by now, but as someone mentioned, It's a "necessary evil" or something like that. I still own the 2008 Lariat and still gets driven and used daily, but I drive the 2015 and am very happy with the decision I made. I'd rather know I have a dependable vehicle and make it to work and have free time for myself while the '08 gets some TLC whenever there is time.

If my story convinces you to get a new 6.7 go ahead, you wont regret the purchase. Is it necessary? only you can answer that question. The 2015 is powerful, quiet, fast, smooth, comfortable, no leaks, remote start, power everything, and beautiful. If you test drive a 6.7 make sure to take a check stub, insurance, and someone to drive your 7.3 back home because I was convinced with the first test drive and left home with it that same weekend!

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you test drive a 6.7 make sure to take a check stub, insurance, and someone to drive your 7.3 back home because I was convinced with the first test drive and left home with it that same weekend!
yep, test drive did it for me too. I was on the fence about getting rid of my 7.3 Excursion, but I jumped right off the fence as soon as I sat in a new one.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
I love my 7.3L but lately I've been wanting a newer diesel truck, but I'm not sure if I want too mess with all the emission's problems that come with it. If I where too buy a 6.7 I would not own outside of the warranty, but I will say that I'm waiting for the Toyota release of their diesel Tundra, see how it compare's too the competition.

·
Banned
70 Posts
I love my 7.3L but lately I've been wanting a newer diesel truck, but I'm not sure if I want too mess with all the emission's problems that come with it. If I where too buy a 6.7 I would not own outside of the warranty, but I will say that I'm waiting for the Toyota release of their diesel Tundra, see how it compare's too the competition.
I wouldn't wait for the Tundra. That cummins is underpowered for today's standards.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
My 6.7 has had stock emissions for 150k for what it's worth and still is fine. Dpf is slightly cracked now but nothing major yet. Every oil analysis I send off comes back almost perfect.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
I wouldn't wait for the Tundra. That cummins is underpowered for today's standards.
You might be right, but the release date isn't until 2017:surprise:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts