Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I currently drive a 2007 F-150 Lariat but have always wanted a deisel. Well last week my cousin was joking around and said he'd trade me his 2000 F250 for my truck. We kind of just laughed it off but then I really started thinking about it. Recently I have been doing a lot more towing (24ft enclosed race trailer) and it puts my little F150 to the test every time. Also winter is coming and I need to buy a plow truck or pay someone to plow. Heres the specs of each truck, I need advise.

My 07 F-150 Lariat Crew Cab
kbb = $19,500
95,000 miles
leather, 5.4, roush exhaust, pretty much stock

His 00 F-250 XLT Extended Cab
kbb = $13,700
80,000 miles
power commander, 7.3 turbo, 5" exhaust, other than that stock

Im leaning towards the trade even though it is a $5,800 hit. Being a powerstroke forum, Im assuming I'll get a biased opinion out of a lot of you but I guess I'm just curious if there is any common issues or concerns I should be aware of. Ive never owned a deisel, anything I should know before getting one? I'm going to look at his truck this weekend and let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
693 Posts
if you want a diesel why not sell your truck and buy one rather than get involved in a trade with a family member?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hate selling stuff, people are a pain to deal with. I like his truck, I know he takes very good care of it and I know everything that he has done to the truck. Plus you dont usually find a 11 year old truck with only 80k miles. Ive been looking around and dont think I could get much better of a truck selling mine and buying another.

·
Registered
693 Posts
well if you need someone to tell you what to do, go buy it!:wink[3]: you most likely wont regret it. but you better see how serious he was, he may have been just as kidding as you were. and upon thinking of it, he probly dosent want to loose his truck :icon_ford:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't need anyone to tell me what to do, I was just looking for some feedback about these trucks from people that own them, you know strong points, issues, problems, ect. I already talked to him and he's willing to do the trade. He has a long commute to work and the 6 speed gets old after a while. He also doesn't tow anything or plow so the f150 makes sense for him

·
Registered
693 Posts
i was just kidding :taze: well a 7.3 with a 6 speed, it does not get much more reliable than that. that is a solid set up! but then again i may be slightly biased:D but seriously the 7.3 has the reputation of being a faithful servent, if treated and maintained right.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's good to hear! I've been told the 7.3 is one of the best motors ever but have no first hand experience with them (or any other deisel for that matter). I was thinking in the future as well, my f150 has 95k miles, we know what happens to gas motors and their values after 100k. This deisel with the 6 speed should last a long time and hold its value. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
693 Posts
no problem, i hope it all works out for you!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a follow up, we ended up doing the trade! Im very happy with the super duty. This truck is in great condition. Plans are 05 front end swap, leveling kit and a little bigger tires. Heres some pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
thats a sweet looking power stroke. remember that 7.3 is not the fastest thing on the road but it will be on the road for a very long time.

·
Registered
693 Posts
nice ride man!

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
Looks like a well cared for truck. Good luck with it.

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
Nice looking truck. But personally I think your crazy for trading straight up for your 6.0 to a 7.3. Don't get me wrong I love the 7.3 but I wouldn't trade my 6.0 for the world lol. Good luck man hopefully you get many many trouble free miles out of it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice looking truck. But personally I think your crazy for trading straight up for your 6.0 to a 7.3. Don't get me wrong I love the 7.3 but I wouldn't trade my 6.0 for the world lol. Good luck man hopefully you get many many trouble free miles out of it.
i didnt have a 6.0. I had an 07 F150. Thanks for all the kind words guys! I ordered all my 05 front end parts and will hopefully be doing the swap by the end of the month!

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
hahaha :doh: sorry about that I seen 07 and assumed it was a 6.0 lol. You know what they say when you assume right. Anyway good deal bud glad your happy with it and hopefully you will have a long happy uneventful future (few repairs) with it.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Great looking truck. I'ts rare to see both parties pleased with this type of trade, but time will tell. IMHO I think you made out top dog.:D And now that you are a proud powerstroke owner.....DIESEL!:haha:;)

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
what tuner does it have on it because power commanders are for motorcycles lol, i have a PC5 on my 09 FZ6R haha.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts