Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of trading in my 08' F250 SWB for an F350 DRW LWB with the widetrack monobeam front suspension option, only catch is I don't need or want the dually aspect (required for the widetrack option). Would it be easier to downgrade a DRW to a SRW, or should I look at somehow installing the widetrack monobeam front suspension on my F250?

As to the first scenario, I'd want to remove the giant wheel wells. Once removed, is it painted on the sides of the bed that are normally covered up by the dually's wheel wells?

As to running just one set of wheels on the back axle, I've heard you don't have to change the rear axle, but nevertheless there is "something" you need to do to a dually with just one set of rear wheels. Spacers to change the offset maybe?

Another possibility is to just find someone that wanted to upgrade to a dually, but there are no guarantees I'd find anyone wanting to swap out parts for such an operation.

The last option would involve somehow upgrading my front suspension to the widetrack, however, it seems to me that might be the more expensive route since I'd need the front quarterpanels as well as the widetrack.

·
Registered
387 Posts
So you want a single rear wheel with the widetrac front end? Honestly, that thing would look like a lowrider from east LA with the wheels offset that much. And it would cost too much money because the beds of duallys are cut inside the wheel wells where the dually fenders go, and you would have to put rear fender flares on unless you want that thing to look like a funny car. Not to mention the widertrac option only comes in 4.10+ gearing, which is for towing, and by what you're saying you aren't gonna be towing with that thing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you want a single rear wheel with the widetrac front end? Honestly, that thing would look like a lowrider from east LA with the wheels offset that much. And it would cost too much money because the beds of duallys are cut inside the wheel wells where the dually fenders go, and you would have to put rear fender flares on unless you want that thing to look like a funny car. Not to mention the widertrac option only comes in 4.10+ gearing, which is for towing, and by what you're saying you aren't gonna be towing with that thing.
Thanks for the insight. I hadn't thought about the look of a wide front end and a narrower rear. Sounds like I'd also need a new bed, making that route too expensive.

What about the second scenario, retrofitting my F250 with the widetrack front end? I could go with the fender cuts on the front end and use bushwackers front and back to match it all up visually and in width? I just don't know what would be involved in swapping out the front suspension, but I could easily see it being too costly as well. Maybe not?

As to towing, I only tow an 11k travel trailer maybe 15-20 times per year, so you're right, I don't need the 4.10 rear end of the dually.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You might be able to find an inexpensive take off bed at a local shop that installs service bodies or flat beds. I got one when my SRW got slammed in the bed. It was cheaper to get the take off then to straighten and repaint the bed. I don't know if you can do anything to have the rear wheels the right width for the bed or if you even have to make any changes there.

I have seen some take the inner wheels off the dually's and run them as wide SRW trucks. Thought about doing that to mine every once in awhile since I don't need the duallys.

A rear change will most likely run you a bit less than $1k on a 2x and about $2k for a 4x4.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts