Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Diesel is Power!!!
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son's F350 transmission went out on him about a month ago. I found him a rebuilt one and we put it in. When we took out the old one the flexplate had ripped where the converter stud holes are located about 4 inch long and all 6 converter studs had broken off. My question is has anyone seen this before? I found out today through the grape vine my son has been racing his truck Now I believe that he was holding the breaks to launch at start. If he is could that have caused it? He is 18 years old and the truck has 160k miles on it and is stock.

·
Administrator
29,363 Posts
the 08's went to an 8 lug converter
but i doubt you could rip the flexplate doing a power brake ?
it may have had loose nuts ( single use spec) ( they are a biotch to tighten ) and the back and forth play over time wore the channels?

maybe neutral drops or crazy downshifts could cause an issue IDK

(I know you will or have but ) i would tell that boy that 8000 lbs is not a race car and can wipe out a whole lot of folks in the wrong hands

·
Diesel is Power!!!
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes you are correct that he can hurt someone. I will be having a talk with him. Now I know what my dad went through with me but I was an angel.
The channels start at the holes and go clock wise in one direction. I believe its from abuse there's other things that show he is racing like new tires in the spring and now the rears are bald. Other issues he has fixed too. Damm kids!!!

·
Premium Member
3,521 Posts
Likely the nuts had been loose for a while already, from vibration or improper torque. My Bro abuses torque converters way more that these little diesels can do, and he has never broken those bolts.

·
Diesel is Power!!!
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK maybe I'll chalk it up to loose nuts for now.
I'm still going to call him out on the racing still, just wont blame him for tearing up his trans.

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
Just tell him if he races it he has to pay to fix whatever he tears up, and he has to do the work himself.

·
Diesel is Power!!!
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He does pay for the parts he breaks. The part that bugs me is the truck siting in MY garage while he fixes it and he always needs my expertise. I think I'll charge him for the time in the garage, tools and my knowledge! $25 a hour rent and $50 a hour for my expertise. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
He does pay for the parts he breaks. The part that bugs me is the truck siting in MY garage while he fixes it and he always needs my expertise. I think I'll charge him for the time in the garage, tools and my knowledge! $25 a hour rent and $50 a hour for my expertise. :thumb:
That sounds like a pretty good deal to me!! He'll never see it that way, though :D

-jokester

·
Registered
146 Posts
Good luck with this! It usually doesn't work that way. hehehehehe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts