Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I'm not a mechanic, but I can turn a wrench or two. I'm looking for suggestions from all you techs and modders.

I just stumbled onto a wrecked 03 f350 with a 7.3. This thing runs and yard drives, but the rear end was knocked over a few feet. I bought it for the tranny for my ex, but my mechanic is thinking other steps to make the ex better.

So even if the tranny in my ex would be ok or not, I still have the problem of having this nice 7.3 with 73k miles on it that runs like a top. And my mind has been working overtime in possible things to do with it. (sell it, keep for parts, find a CC that has nose damage, or a project) What keeps coming into my mind is the fact that my bro has a 53 f-100 (early fifties anyways) that I've been wanting to get off of him for a while now. Besides making it fit in the hood compartment, what else would I be looking at for problems? This truck needs a restore, even though it's 95% there, and barely any rust. I'm thinking about suspension, rear end issues, and fitment under cab. What would you all suggest?

Also, anyone know what the original weight of the f-100 is?

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
Anything is possible with enough money, patience, and fab skills:thumb: I would assume the frame is pretty stout with good heavy steel, not like todays frames. I would think your going to want to transfer over the whole drivetrain axles and all, so your going to want to find a good rear axle to hold up to the torque of the powerstroke. Not sure of the weight.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anything is possible with enough money, patience, and fab skills:thumb: I would assume the frame is pretty stout with good heavy steel, not like todays frames. I would think your going to want to transfer over the whole drivetrain axles and all, so your going to want to find a good rear axle to hold up to the torque of the powerstroke. Not sure of the weight.
Yeah, axle in the 350 is junk, Took a direct hit. So I gotta find something else that will do. I know rodders like the ford 9", but I doubt that can handle the numbers a chipped psd will put out. I also gotta think about getting the power to the ground, it's just gonna be 2wd, (No boosted 4wd launches) so I gotta plan for some wide rears, probably with tubbing out the rear. Maybe a fuel cell or something in the bed for added weight over the tires. I gotta get next to both trucks, and see exactly what I'm dealing with.

Oh, and of course, stacks. LOL

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
Yeah a 9 inch won't hold up! Your going to want a dana 60-70 or a sterling 10.5. You could transfer over the front axle and transfer case and make it 4 wheel:dunno: Sounds like a cool project:thumb:

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, make it a slammed 4wd, might be ok. I don't want it lifted. I'll see what I can come across, and just how much money I'm talking about spending.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts