Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd ask a couple question's for you powerstroke garu's out there. Ok so I'm considering purchasing an F-550 cab chassis with a 6.0 with about 150k on it. The owner says It's got an exhaust leak on the upipes going to the turbo so It's not making the boost and power it could be, he say's it's maybe not up to driving home, he says it starts right up and runs great apart from the leak. does this sound right?. Other question is should I take the risk of buying the 6.0 over the 7.3 since I have heard such bad things about the 6.0. what do you think?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Look at the stickies.... I love my powerstroke and should have done a bit more research before buying, but I have made up for that. The exhaust leak can be problematic. Look for soot around the headers. If you try and fix it you can open a rats nest if you break off an exhaust bolt, also check the codes for a PO299 it could be a myriad of things that are causing this...

Look at the degas bottle and see if there is evidence of "coolant puking". If there was just a small leak it would be okay to drive, but if the owner says it may not be okay to drive I would be suspicious.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I have done a lot of research on the 6.0 and the main problems I hear about is Head studs, head gasket failure and turbo failure and also Egr failure, is it possible to identify these problems just by having the engine looked over by a 6.0 mechanic even without early symptoms or is it to much risk even thinking about buying the truck and going ahead and buying a 7.3

·
Registered
52 Posts
7.3 engines were more sturdy and had less emissions on them. This is why people like them. The 6.0 was a smaller engine that produced more power, but it was tuned to meet emissions. The body itself is similar between the 6.0 and the later 7.3s, but the front suspension on the later 6.0 is way nicer than leaf springs. Also the truck comes stock with a trailer brake and upfitter switches. I bought a 6.0 and had to put headgaskets, studs, new head, and 3 injectors to the tune of 8k all together over time with a few other things. I bought it 10K below book, so I don't think I got ripped off, just was bummed that the deal was too good to be true. I bought it with 170k and put 30k on it in a year with puking coolant and a small overheat when my wife was hauling in Oklahoma in the summer. These trucks are work horses, just don't be surprised if it gives you a bit of hassle. Be ready to spend close to 8k to get it up to speed if you are looking at buying one that is questionable.

·
Super Moderator
10,052 Posts
make sure to get an oasis report on it as well, ask as many questions as possible, take an edge CTS with you if possible or something as simple as torque pro for androids, check for soft codes, check what the deltas are, ask what kind of oil they use, make sure it's and OEM cap, as well as what interval they change oil at

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys, very much appreciated

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well to tell you the truth I have found another truck thats much better than the one i mention in this thread he has replace all 8 injectors and has done egr deletes on his other 6.0 and I'm probably going to have that done on it he says It's been very well maintained and has used all motorcraft which is a good sign, he says it starts right up in the cold and runs great, I'l just have to see how it goes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I have three 7.3's I run 5w40 rotella t6 syn or dello 400 5w40 syn and no blowby and great cold starting, great engines the 7.3 are bullet proof

1 - 8 of 8 Posts