Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So right now I currently have a 00' f350 7.3 that is my work truck / DD
its got about 130k and I love it but Id like to get into something newer.

Im looking at an 08 F350 6.4L XLT with about 38k on it, they are asking $29,900 I think if I get them down to $27k that would be a good deal.

I got the oasis report from the dealership didnt really tell me much but i will post it here.

Here are my concerns / questions

The DPF- I read most of the threads on here dealing with this, I plan on doing the delete and tune. I'm probably going to go with one of the kits that include the h & S mini and the full exhaust and intake. Should I also do the EGR delete. Or the egr something I can wait on for a year or so.

This is what I use my truck for, mainly its general driving and once and a while Ill have a skid of pavers in the back. I also occasionally pull either my skid steer or mini ex, total weight with trailer is under 12k.

And in the winter I plow snow. Im generally not heavy footed.

Im mainly looking for improved fuel milage and longevity of the truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Deleting the egr system is a good idea to prolong the longevity of the truck. Some people just wait a bit to do this one as it is a little more work than the dpf delete. It actually isn't that much more work it is just a tight area to be working in and takes some patients. I had a guy do mine for a decent price due to the fact that my wife didn't like it when I was hanging out with my truck more than her :hehe:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Deleting the egr system is a good idea to prolong the longevity of the truck. Some people just wait a bit to do this one as it is a little more work than the dpf delete. It actually isn't that much more work it is just a tight area to be working in and takes some patients. I had a guy do mine for a decent price due to the fact that my wife didn't like it when I was hanging out with my truck more than her :hehe:
Ok, any thoughts on where i should purchase the kit? Also it comes with pre set tunes right? Im curious if there would be one tailored to plowing or towing.

also with the production date being april 08 does that keep me clear of the radiator problems?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
i'd keep the 7.3 personally, other than that offer 25k firm and walk out the door. if u do get the 6.4 , delete the dpf immediatly. u can shut off your egr thru the tuner and you'll be set.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Ok, any thoughts on where i should purchase the kit? Also it comes with pre set tunes right? Im curious if there would be one tailored to plowing or towing.

also with the production date being april 08 does that keep me clear of the radiator problems?
If I was to do it over again I would get either the kit from dirty diesel because it is close to me or performance truck products from down where you are. They have a very well priced kit that includes the elbow and although I haven't purchased anything from there yet myself I have read tons of comments about their customer service. You could probably get a package deal from them as well. Nate @ ptp is the forum name I think.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
A I would imagine they would have free shipping down in the states.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I vote to keep the 7.3 too. Why do you want something newer? The 6.4 is notoriously thirsty in stock form, and with NYS inspection you can't get away with deleting the DPF, can you?? If you can't then you are just buying something that will cost you more money the moment you buy it, IMO.

I completely get the want for a newer truck but I have had so many guys ( 6.0 and 6.4 owners) literally drool over my 7.3 saying they wished they had one that I read between the lines and decided I won't buy a new truck until I can easily afford a 6.7 truck.

If you can delete the DPF and can swing the loot, youtube some videos of the 6.4 with a spartan tune and you'll be all over it. :icon_ford:

Scott

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'd keep the 7.3 personally, other than that offer 25k firm and walk out the door. if u do get the 6.4 , delete the dpf immediatly. u can shut off your egr thru the tuner and you'll be set.
The 7.3 I'm selling to my brother. I love it but I want something newer

Also is turning off the egr the same as deleting it?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 7.3 is pretty rusty and my brother loves it do I'd rather sell it to him than have him buy another one that isn't a good and then in two yets have to try to sell mine

·
Registered
201 Posts
Iv heard that deleting the egr without running a wastegate while running a straight pipe gives you no back pressure and can lead to problems down the road. This is why i havnt done the egr delete. I say do a straight pipe and wait on the egr to go out when it does do the wastegate as well. The egr wont make a 500-600 dollar worth improvement and isnt worth the risk if your looking to have it for a while.

Price wise thoroughbred is good and they will beat other prices. They also are easy to talk to and relatively fast to ship.

As for the truck your looking at it doesnt seem like a bad deal but a 6.4 is alot more sensitive but I think you'll love it with an h&s and a straight pipe. I love my 6.4 it tows ok but its a blast to drive and listen to that jet engine going through town. I'm at 94k so i think that one your looking at is got alot of life left

·
Registered
201 Posts
Do not turn it off your truck will shut off unless you block it off which is the same thing and a alot less money/time. I'd still wait tho

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
This is the first I have heard about this. I have heard it before with major upgrades like turbos, more fuel, huge power etc. Most people don't run a wastegate with average upgrades like tuner, intake, exhaust, EGR delete unless they have future plans for some big power.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
The 7.3 is a nice motor. I owned 2 of them (94 naturally aspirated and a 97 Powerstroke). I just sold my 6.0. I now have a 6.4. I would sell your 7.3 in a heartbeat and "upgrade" to a newer truck. The creature comforts alone make it worth it. You can do a lot more with these newer trucks for not much money. Get rid of the emissions BS on the 6.0 or a 6.4 and you'll be running laps around your 7.3.

·
Registered
201 Posts
This is the first I have heard about this. I have heard it before with major upgrades like turbos, more fuel, huge power etc. Most people don't run a wastegate with average upgrades like tuner, intake, exhaust, EGR delete unless they have future plans for some big power.
It's just a precaution. Theres no hard core evidence against either case. However is it worth 5-6 hours for someone whos done it before plus cost of plates? No but if you do do it get the block off it's the same thing only alot cheaper. I'v heard of people around hear doing that.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So don't turn off the egr unless i delete it. and deleting it is not a nessecity?

·
Registered
201 Posts
So don't turn off the egr unless i delete it. and deleting it is not a nessecity?
You cant just turn it off, You can block it off. Your truck will ask you to pull over and once your slowed down it will shut off until you reset the computer and put every thing back to normal. Yeah some guys think it does make a big difference but I know some people who'v put them on and its a little better fuel mileage but you'll be fine without it. Some of them go out thats when I would delete it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok so until it goes just leave it. but def do the dpf intake and exhaust and tune though right? I priced it out for under 1500

·
Registered
201 Posts
I was really looking at doing the same thing for a while and looking up what it takes money and time wise wasn't worth it to me

·
Registered
201 Posts
ok so until it goes just leave it. but def do the dpf intake and exhaust and tune though right? I priced it out for under 1500
Oh yes its an entirely different truck. Youtube videos don't do the exhaust justice tho. Sounds like a 6.0/jet engine. If I were you I'd run the setup your looking at h&s 5 inch straight but get the whole thing tho. Idk what intake your looking at but do not get a volant it doesn't act well with the computer. I only have an sct cause it came with the truck. Get the turbo back to

1 - 20 of 33 Posts