Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've about given up on finding a new PCM for my 1997 F250 HD Crew Cab and considering converting it to a fed compliant truck. My PCM has been deemed unfixable by two independent rebuild facilities. Under the DMV the truck is exempt from smog testing in Calif. (1997 and older heavy duty diesel trucks) so I see no reason not to be able to do the conversion and I can still run and sell the truck if I want. I've owned since new.

Thanks to feedback I got from Cary at CT Performance, the plan calls for swapping out the split shot injectors with stage one single shots , modifying the plug wiring, and installing a federal PCM from 1997 for auto transmission. Of course, it will probably have to be reprogrammed in some fashion. This is a daily driver, so I'm not necessarily interested in hot rodding it.

It sounds almost too simple, so I'm skeptical -- no disrespect to Cary, who has been very helpful and responsive to my plight. But I'd appreciate feedback from all of you experienced diesel folks: Does anyone see any "gotcha's" -- either mechanical, electrical, or governmental -- in doing this?

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Nothing really to add, but keep us posted on your efforts! Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
12,908 Posts
the gp system is different, not sure how that effect the pcm. i know the pcm does communicate with the system.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
A 49-state will not require the shunt, so you should be able to just put those wires in a "not used" spot in the connector (or leave them out of the connector altogether) and get rid of the shunt, wiring the relay as "normal".

RB, in your "travels" of this experience, is there no one that can (or not a way) to program a 49-state PCM to run the splits correctly? Cheers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts