Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off nice site.

Well im in the market for a new truck and Ive located a 2005, f350, 4x4, 6.0, manuel trans, single rear wheel, single cab. Its got 95k on it very nicely take care of, exterior is beautiful along with the interiror.
The previous owner blew the head gaskets and traded it off. Ive got the dealer installing stock gaskets with arp studs. They have also just replaced the egr cooler with a new stock one.
From what ive read, I need to replace or add:
egr delete
updated or aftermarket oil cooler
coolant filter kit
pcm tune
gauges
exhaust (last on the list)
I will be sending the pcm to wait4meperformace.com and have it overhauled. Were looken at 175hp gain. They yellow antifreeze will be replaced with something much more expensive and better. Is there anything else than needs to be beefed up or replaced?

What all do I need to look at while test driving it, besides the usual?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
never heard of them? Really, ive sent 3 pcms to them. $150 and you get more than any programer or mountable computer will ever put out. And and lifetime free updates,or changes. Everyone on zr2usa.com reccomends them. Check them out or email/call them. Real good and fast work. yes 175 more hp than stock. Thats with the head studs and egr delete of corse.

Ive always been a chevy man but chevy has f/ed me real bad lately and they quality has went downhill very badly so, ill give ford a chance. Ive got a 7.3 already and love it, but i cant find one with low mile and my needs.

Finding a single cab, diesel, man trans, 4x4 is very hard to find. And i cant stand front independent suspension anymore.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So if the dealer is (dumb) sorry if that offends anyone, and does not instal the arp kit (cause of cost), how long would the truck last with all the fixes on my list except an arp stud kit? Is there any other stud kit avaliable, cause the arp one is somewhere around $400?

·
Registered
306 Posts
If you truly are going to buy this truck and they already have it apart to do headgaskets I'd give them some money out of your wallet to purchase the ARP head studs. no doubt about it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
First off nice site.

Well im in the market for a new truck and Ive located a 2005, f350, 4x4, 6.0, manuel trans, single rear wheel, single cab. Its got 95k on it very nicely take care of, exterior is beautiful along with the interiror.
The previous owner blew the head gaskets and traded it off. Ive got the dealer installing stock gaskets with arp studs. They have also just replaced the egr cooler with a new stock one.
From what ive read, I need to replace or add:
egr delete
updated or aftermarket oil cooler
coolant filter kit
pcm tune
gauges
exhaust (last on the list)
I will be sending the pcm to wait4meperformace.com and have it overhauled. Were looken at 175hp gain. They yellow antifreeze will be replaced with something much more expensive and better. Is there anything else than needs to be beefed up or replaced?

What all do I need to look at while test driving it, besides the usual?
While the dealer is in there are they putting in a new oil cooler???
That seems to be the cause for blowing the egr cooler which in turn blows the HG's. I'd ask them about that. If not then that'd be something along with the coolant flush that should be done rate away if a person bought the tuck. IMO
Arp's are the best bang for your buck. There are other kits out there but they are usually more expensive.
If your tearing into the truck to do coolant flush/egr delete/oil cooler. I'd look into the blue fuel pressure spring and stand pipe fittings/STC fittings. Cheaper parts that are common issues to address while your in there for reliability. Something you might want to add to the list.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had asked the salesman about the oil cooler: and he said they have never had a problem with that part. He did admit athat the egr caused many problems and fear of the 6.0.
I plan on putting in a oil cooler later, with the stainless screen. What aftermarket brand, or an updated stock one?
C to pay for it I need to cut my milo, and it isnt dry yet, So offering to pay for half of the arp stud kit, reasonable? Is there something wrong with stock ford gaskets.
I can do the oil cooler, and blue fuel spring myself.

·
Registered
497 Posts
That's why he's a salesman. Many EGR cooler problems start with a clogged oil cooler.
What coolant are they going back in with? Good quality Cat EC-1 rated ELC is not any more expensive than the Ford gold. I paid about $17 a gallon at Napa for Zerex ELC.
Stock Ford gaskets are fine - get the ARPs put in while it's torn down even if you have to buy them cases of beer, whatever - it's the best time to do it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive made it very clear to them about the arp studs, put them in or im not interested. They wont even get to the truck for around 3 weeks so im going to make him worry about it lol. I know how those evil salesmen work:) I can do the oil cooler myself later, right? along with the egr delete, and blue fuel spring thingy. The will probably use fords antifreeze or the green stuff, i will change it out with archer ( i buy all my petrolium products from them). Best oil you can buy btw, even though most people have never heard of them. Is their 14k asking price fair? Im trading in the s10 but they dont need to know that yet, and im going to pull the well i have to put this in later card and its going to cost $$$$.

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
They are going to have the truck torn down anyway. It will take the tech less than an hour to replace the oil cooler. Standard procedure is to replace both since the oil cooler clogging is what causes the egr cooler to rupture. Makes no sense to tear it down that far and not replace it. I would also have them replace the STC fitting and update the dummy plugs and stand pipes.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They are going to have the truck torn down anyway. It will take the tech less than an hour to replace the oil cooler. Standard procedure is to replace both since the oil cooler clogging is what causes the egr cooler to rupture. Makes no sense to tear it down that far and not replace it. I would also have them replace the STC fitting and update the dummy plugs and stand pipes.
Can you clarify what the; STC fitting and update the dummy plugs and stand pipes, is and are?

Keep in mind im a farmer, and all crops have failed this year, money is tight.

Which oil cooler do i want them to put in? Updated ford or?????

·
Registered
534 Posts
Like those guys said.. You must do the oil cooler now along with a new egr cooler.. It shouldnt be a option to not do it.. 14k seems like a decent price but are they charging you anything for the headgasket job? The STC fitting is a older style fitting for the HPOP that breaks and ford has a new part to replace it. They should know what you are talking about when you mention to them about replacing it. There is a TSB for this.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I would have the dealer do:
ARP head studs and new Ford head gaskets.
Reman stock oil cooler that's good and clean
updated STC (snap-to-connect) fitting on the high pressure oil pump
dummy plugs and stand pipes are under the valve covers, I believe. Parts of the high pressure oil system that like to leak:
Dummy rail plugs: W302908
Kit for dummy plugs and stand pipes: 6E7Z-9A332-B
Freeze plug to block off EGR cooler (this may throw a code in an 05)
And since you have time I would order a new up-pipe that feeds your EGR cooler. I believe 05 is when they started putting a scoop in the up-pipe to catch and feed even more exhaust through the EGR cooler and into the intake :doh: You can get a pipe with the scoop cut out but the catch is you may have to send in the pipe you have.

Do the coolant stuff and fuel pressure spring yourself. The spring job is easy and the coolant flush is wasted $$ at a dealer because I'd bet you $20 they will half-a$$ the coolant flush with Ford Gold c#*& mixed with tap water and charge you out the wazoo for it. Just have them top it up with distilled water, get some Restore, and do the coolant flush correctly yourself when you get home. Then install a coolant filter.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
14k and they are going to do the labor at their cost, I tryen to split a arp stud kit and oil cooler 50 50 on cost, but labor on them. Im doing the egr full delete kit myself. I will split the cost of parts but not labor on the stc, dummey plugs with them.

As for codes being thrown, well they can be deleted from the computer anyways.

On a side not my s10 always threw a code for the emmission stuff, the valve on the charcal canaster, it always got dust in it and stuck. I had the code deleted and the pcm programed to run without that tree huggen stuff. Dont get me wrong i love the enviroment but a line must be drawn somewhere.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Well that price is pretty good considering they are doing the studs for ya..I wish my dealer would have done that..

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hope they will do the studs for me, im going to go down ther in 1hr n turn up the heat. Im going to offer to pay for half of the arp studs and oil cooler. The labor is on them, and the other things are on them to. I need them to hold off on working on it for around 4 weeks. I need rain to guarentee my wheat comes up so i can pay for it. Right now money is tight since wheat and milo failed this year, and ther isnt a drop of moisture in the ground for 2012 wheat crop, so i got to protect myself.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To keep this more private, could any one pm me the best place for a egr delete system. Sinister looks to be the kit i want, but have no idea who has the best price. Again just pm me so it doesnt mess up business for others.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
on the subject of antifreeze: Acher has two different one's i would buy but dont know which one to buy.
Archer extended life antifreeze: total colling system protection for 600,000 miles or 12,000hrs off road use. or
Acher CB antifreeze: diesel and gasoline engines. Meets ASTM D-4985, D-5345, D-6210

Which one would be bteeter?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey either today or tomorrow morning im going down ther and give the salesman two options, let me know what you think:

1. $500 cash and get to work on the truck (stud kit, oil coller, dummyplugs, stc fitting).
2. $5000 and i go load the truck up on the trailer (not running with gaskets out)

Everything else the truck would need i can do myself. Egr delete, fuel pressure spring, quality antifreeze.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts