Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new user here. I though I'd come check out this site, and ask for your opinions.

I am retiring my old 97 5.0 Explorer, and am considering this 2000 F350 DRW Diesel. Here it is on craigslist:
2000 f-350 dullie 7.3 diesel

I'm hoping you all could provide me with important things to look at and consider while looking at this truck. I'm an amateur mechanic, and do all of my own repairs and maintenance.

So what are important things to check out?

It's about 3 hours away, so I'd like to have all my research done before traveling out there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
:ORG welcome:

1. take a look at the turbo fins for damage, check for shaft play (dont forget a few tools)
2. place the oil cap upside-down on the fill after cold start, see if it blows off while the engine is running (blowby test)
3. try and do a cold soak start, see how well it starts
4. ask for maintenance records or repair history
5. check all the pulleys for play
6. check for leaks, note what and where (usully no leak is a big deal on a 7.3) if you see oil coming from the rear seal, dont panic its probably not the rear seal.
7. check the coolant condition
8. check the front end for signs of needed maintenance
9. check tranny fluid level and color

the price looks good though. take your cash, this may be a very good deal. post questions here

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks your reply. What about the turbo? Is shaft play something to worry about at 211,000 miles?

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
worry... dunno. worth checking? absolutly. as far as too much play or housing contact goes, a DIY rebuild will run $100 to $200 depending on what parts you need.

just take a nut driver and some small sockets with you. or a flat blade scredriver. i think thats all that would be required...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts