Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am looking at a 2000 with 275,000 miles on it, Lariat package. The interior and exterior are in excellent condition, and has been owned by the second owner for 10 years. He used it in his business for 8 years to pull a front end loader/trailer(23,000lbs) in south Alabama. I would be using it for general duties, and towing a fifth wheel with it 5-6 times a year. I believe it is a 4.10 rear end based on the tag on the rear diff. The truck cranks easily, idles up, then down, and drives and shifts smooth. Accelerates strong, even on a 10% grade. It did not have a trailer hooked up.
He is firm at $12,500. Please advise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are some more pictures, he has good service records and changes the oil every 5-6 thousand miles. 14 quarts, ouch!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a small oil leak that looks like it is coming from the main seal.

Thank you for any and all comments, questions, or straight up “don’t do it!”

·
Registered
723 Posts
It is still a 20 year old truck but for that price I think it would be a good deal. I'll admit though that I am not as knowledgeable in the 7.3 game as some others around here.

Reactions: WestPat

·
Premium Member
8,692 Posts
The 7.3's got a bunch of places it can leak oil from, Main Seals are not a common one...

But, as to this truck. I would certainly run the VIN to get a history (CarFax, that kinda stuff).

Read this -> What to look for when buying a USED 99-03 PSD

Take a good look at the Oil Pan and rear wheel openings for signs of Rust (yes, the oil pans rusts-out and it's a Big Deal to replace ;) )

Have a look at all this stuff for an idea on future maintenance -> Failure Prevention Thread - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have a 99 with fewer miles that I wish looked as nice underneath as what I can see of that one. Gulf Coast States are fairly benign for rust. Unless it was chassis detailed in its past, there is a lot of original black-out on suspension, axles, etc. I'd look at the bottom inside of the doors, the under the bed cross braces, and underside of the cab at the rockers for scale and rust. It doesn't look like you'll find any. Also check the condition of the roof and around the windshield.

You seem to like the condition, which is the only opinion that matters. Yours. As far as $12,500 for a 275k mile, 4X4 dually, that seems about inline with what one would expect in most markets, and in some markets perhaps a little lowish. If this one does not have the common and typical under-side sheet metal rust in the areas NoRalph and I have mentioned, it is in above-average condition for an about-average listing price.

One of the major risks / headaches / unexpected expenses with these trucks is the transmission. It can pop at any time. Or it may last trouble-free for years. You may want to ask about the transmission history. The biggest concern for me re my transmission is that on most trips, I'm at least a thousand of miles from base, on a tight timeline. A trip-ending breakdown would be expensive and disruptive. At least you'll have your five'r with you so you have a place to stay while the truck gets fixed.

From the tiny bit of info you presented, it looks like an Ok deal to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Also as Dave P mentioned the tranny is a bad *** but it will go at some point so be ready, with the 2 I have owned and own now it happens without warning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is surface rust on the frame, u joints and drive shafts. I’ve looked under several Super Duty trucks this week from this era, and they all have the surface rust in the same places. The sheet metal looks brand new, on the roof, around the edges, and under the truck. I’m going to go over it inch by inch before buying, but it looks great for almost 21 years. The transmission has never had work done. It shifted smoothly through the gears at both normal and hard acceleration/breaking. The O/D never kicked in that I could tell, but I never got the truck above 60mph. would you get the trans rebuilt jut to be on the safe side?
Thank you for your input,
David

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
5965D814-89F4-4A4D-AA99-46B755C595F0.jpeg

Here is a shot under the truck to illustrate the surface rust on frame and driveshaft, but sheet metal is clean. Also a shot from the other side with the door open to show how intact the doors are. Truck was bought brand new in the Birmingham area, and is currently on the second owner.
Thanks for your advice,
David

·
Registered
530 Posts
OD (4th gear) should be shifting at like 45 or so if you're not hard on the throttle. maybe even lower if youi're just coasting. there's no visible indication of this. the light on the stalk indicates that OD has been disabled, so it won't shift above 3rd, I use this for engine braking on downgrades and to keep the engine from shifting in/out of 4th up hills when towing.

Reactions: WestPat

·
Registered
99 f350 7.3, 8inch lift, 37x13.50's lightly modified.
68 Posts
The rear main seal leaking is not uncommon but can be a big deal to fix. Requires pulling the motor. Can't just drop the pan and replace it with it in the truck. If it's already leaking it's only going to get worse with time and use. That's a gut check feeling on your part. They all do it sooner or later. Every engine develops oil leaks of some kind eventually. If just starting to seep and isn't dripping at a steady rate it might not be a big deal right now. The truck looks to be well cared for and in good shape, with the exception of needing a bath. The 7.3's are known for going several hundred thousand miles. Some even refer to them as a "million mile" motor. The price is definitely right if everything else is good to go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The rear main seal leaking is not uncommon but can be a big deal to fix. Requires pulling the motor. Can't just drop the pan and replace it with it in the truck. If it's already leaking it's only going to get worse with time and use. That's a gut check feeling on your part. They all do it sooner or later. Every engine develops oil leaks of some kind eventually. If just starting to seep and isn't dripping at a steady rate it might not be a big deal right now. The truck looks to be well cared for and in good shape, with the exception of needing a bath. The 7.3's are known for going several hundred thousand miles. Some even refer to them as a "million mile" motor. The price is definitely right if everything else is good to go.
The “oil leak” is at the front of the engine only, maybe under the crankshaft pulley. I can’t tell for sure, but it is not so much that it is blowing back all over the pan and undercarriage.

Also, the owner told me to mash the OD button when we were driving, it was a noticeable shift, hard by modern standards. It must have been downshifting and I did not realize. I thought it was four with a ”5th” Overdrive. Otherwise the the truck shifted up and down smoothly through all 4 gears.
Thank y’all,
David

·
Registered
99 f350 7.3, 8inch lift, 37x13.50's lightly modified.
68 Posts
If it's just seeping a little, just enough to be noticable, and not blowing back on the rest of the motor, then it's probably not a big deal right now. Eventually it will need to be fixed. How long it will take before it gets worse is anyone's guess. I wouldn't call it a deal breaker if I was looking to buy it but that's just me. Most motors seep a little here and there no matter if it's gas or diesel. The more miles they have the more likely it is to happen. I would say, all things considered, if you really like the truck and it will do what you want it to do, it's probably a good deal. Trust your gut. It will seldom steer you wrong.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts