Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 02 7.3 and I'm getting to the point where I need to upgrade my rods. And I don't want to spend 2k on forged or billets. So I was thinking about just buying a 94-97 motor and just pulling the rods and swapping them. I wouldn't mind spending 3k on a motor cuz I could build up the heads and all that fun stuff with very little down time for the truck. BUUUT I'm still not 100% knowing of all the mix matched rods and all that. Like if I can take a 94 van 7.3 and use those rods.

Please help me out. I appreciate all the help.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Pretty sure any pre 2001 7.3 rods will work.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And everything about the rods are the same? Like all the measurements. And what about the heads? They are the same too. Correct. I just wanna be 100% on the fitment before I drop the $$$ for a truck I'm gonna use for parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I'm pushing a good bit of power on pmrs. The best thing you can do is get good tuning, someone that has a track record for holding high hp motors together. To get forged rods the best option is find a lower mileage 94-99 block and just swap the long blocks. If you are at the power level to need forged rods you also will need studs and valve springs. My advice is get a forged rod motor that the heads are still attached(seasoned head gaskets are by far superior than putting new ones in.) studding it, putting in the springs and calling it good.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well my plan was to get a pre-PMR engine. Pull out the rods. Pull the heads and modify them to handle higher boost/chamber pressure/hp and install new injectors. And then when I get the time just swap everything out. As to reduce the down time of my truck. I'm still not sure as to what should be done to the heads but I figured I'd call up swamps diesel or another reputable shop and ask their opinion.

And as for running high hp on pmrs. I'm too big of a chicken to push them to the max.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
OP, what kinda HP are you running right now that your worried about the PMR's? What mods are done?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I've done almost everything I can besides changing turbos, injectors and hpop. And I think once I do anyone of those mods ill be over the suggested 400hp mark. I'm not positive about it since I don't have a shop around me for 100 miles that has a dyno. Which sucks. Cuz I wanna know what my numbers are right now.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Well I've done almost everything I can besides changing turbos, injectors and hpop. And I think once I do anyone of those mods ill be over the suggested 400hp mark. I'm not positive about it since I don't have a shop around me for 100 miles that has a dyno. Which sucks. Cuz I wanna know what my numbers are right now.

So in other words you have a chip. Depending what kind of chip, you prolly have 320whp. You can add another 100-150whp and 300ft-lbs to that safely.... NO need for forged at this point.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Edge juice (going with a ts when I get injectors.) 6637 intake. 5" turbo back exhaust. Wicked wheel. Ebpv delete. Banks power elbow. Zoodad mod. I think that's all the power mods I've done. And like I said earlier I don't wanna push the tolerance of the rods. I kinda like my block in one piece. My next upgrade is 200/30% hybrid injectors from swamps. Or larger if I I'm feeling friskey. And that'll get me pretty close to or over the tolerance.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Good idea ditching the edge. Those injectors will never work with the stock turbo.. so what turbo are you going with?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I wanna go with the 38r. And I talked to Dave Armstrong at swamps diesel and he told me they would be fine as long as they were detuned. And then upgrade the turbo and then retune the injectors. Damn money doesn't come to me as fast as I spend it.

And I wish I woulda done more research on chips before I bought the edge. I hate wasting money like that.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
38r is nice... would prolly need something bigger tho for that size injector. And yes you can detune, but then need to send chip back to have injectors retuned.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was looking at the 38r because everyone has said good things about it. I've also looked at borg Warner. But a turbo is about a year away. So I'm gonna look into them more when the time comes.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
38r wont keep up with those huge injectors

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well then I need to more research. Ha.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Prolly an h2e or something even bigger you'd need

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
With anything bigger than a 180/100 injector I would look at a modded h2e, gated s366, s471, s467fmw, s472. Btw if you are going to go to a 200/30 you might as well bump it to a 238/100 and save the hassle. just have it detuned to the power level you want. When you get a turbo go with a t4 mount that way you have options.

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
I'm pushing a good bit of power on pmrs. The best thing you can do is get good tuning, someone that has a track record for holding high hp motors together. To get forged rods the best option is find a lower mileage 94-99 block and just swap the long blocks. If you are at the power level to need forged rods you also will need studs and valve springs. My advice is get a forged rod motor that the heads are still attached(seasoned head gaskets are by far superior than putting new ones in.) studding it, putting in the springs and calling it good.
This whole post ^^^^

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I planned on just buying a set of extra heads and rebuild them entirely.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
If your motor/heads are still in good shape I would just do studs one at a time and comp 910s. Seasoned head gaskets are a lot better than pulling the heads off and putting a new gaskets in.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts