Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of rebuilding my 6.0 Powerstroke after non-catastrophic lifter failure. I've chosen to go with new o-ringed heads and a Colt Stage 2 camshaft, but i'm having a hard time deciding what needs to be done with the bottom end, since I have already pulled the engine and torn it down. I know these engines have a very stout bottom end, but it has 260,000 miles (all of which were stock, mostly freeway miles). New bearings, rod bolts, and main bolts/studs are a must with the engine being torn down this far, but i'm on the fence about new connecting rods.

How many miles are the stock connecting rods good for, assuming the wrist pin bushing isn't worn out? Would it be a good idea to leave the old rods, knowing that future upgrades might be made to increase power? Ultimate goals for this build probably wouldn't surpass 500 hp, which normally would be no issue for the bottom end of this block, but i'm a little skeptical on the longevity of the rods. With the amount of money i'm dropping in it already, I don't want to pull the engine again. While these trucks aren't as bad to work on as a lot of people say, its not something I want to do again anytime soon.

Should I just go for a new set of factory rods and never have to worry about it? Does Ford even offer NEW rods, as in not reconditioned?

Any input would be appreciated.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts