61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts

·
Semper Fi
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Right. The first picture I see is in post #27. Don't know what the difference is.
There are a ton of pictures on post #1 that are still visible to most people. I'm not sure why some people are having trouble seeing them.

·
Premium Member
11,680 Posts
I can see them, but were the pics uploaded to the org or linked from a different site? It's possible that a linked site may be blocked by some anti-malware/virus software. Or by the users connection.

·
Premium Member
6,307 Posts
Looks like theyre hosted on the org to me.

·
Semper Fi
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Looks like theyre hosted on the org to me.
Yes, you're correct. All of the pictures for this thread are hosted here on the org. If you're unable to see them in this thread, you may be able to go to my albums and see them there.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Maybe its just me, but I think a few of your bulb numbers in post 1 (with the pictures) are in the wrong places?? Like it says 3156 cargo lights...and 194 in reverse lights. Are those 3156 not reverse lights and 921 or something for cargo lights. I'm just trying to remember the numbers I used and want to clarify the numbers so someone doesn't get the wrong thing. I did use Retro Solutions bulbs though so that maybe why Im thinking differently? Either way, your write up and pictures convinced me to get LED's for all my white lights so thanks!

·
Semper Fi
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Maybe its just me, but I think a few of your bulb numbers in post 1 (with the pictures) are in the wrong places?? Like it says 3156 cargo lights...and 194 in reverse lights. Are those 3156 not reverse lights and 921 or something for cargo lights. I'm just trying to remember the numbers I used and want to clarify the numbers so someone doesn't get the wrong thing. I did use Retro Solutions bulbs though so that maybe why Im thinking differently? Either way, your write up and pictures convinced me to get LED's for all my white lights so thanks!
I'm fairly certain I got the bulb types correct in the write up, even though it does seem like the 3156s should be in the reverse lights and the 194s in the cargo lights I just checked the invoice, and these were the only two bulb numbers for the white lights I bought, and many bulb types will fit in different sockets. Unfortunately I'm in Germany at the current time, but I'll be back in the States around the first of May. I'll take a look then and update everyone.

If anyone has followed my guide and chime in with the answer, I would appreciate it. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have already put my bulbs in, but they are from a different supplier. I just looked at my invoice from Retro Solutions and I got a pair of 3156 for reverse, pair T15 (921, 912) for cargo, and pair T10 (194,168) for license plate, 2 pair (with 1 left over 578 for dome light on the way). I just didn't want anyone to order the wrong thing. It is a great write-up, you just replaced so many more bulbs than I did so you may have crossed a couple numbers in the write up. Like I said earlier, your pictures inspired me to do all my whites so far!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Question for you guys that have replaced the bulbs and flasher.

If you tow a trailer with regular lights does the flasher work correctly?

If you tow a trailer with LED lights does the flasher work correctly?

I would like to update my bulbs to LEDs, but don't what to have flasher problems when I hook up various trailers.

Great thread.

·
Premium Member
6,307 Posts
The led flasher works normal it just dosnt require a load to flash.

·
Semper Fi
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I just wanted to report that it's been about a year and a half since I did this project and I'm happy to say that I have had 0 issues with the bulbs. None of them have burned out or started to flicker. I'm extremely pleased with the appearance and the performance.

Knock on wood.:look:

Reactions: GreyBeast

·
Registered
96 Posts
Awesome write up. Just did a search for LED lights and this thread has answered a bunch of questions. Thanks for all the info. Subscribed for future reference.

Reactions: TClev

·
Registered
529 Posts
Just to give a bit of an update on mine I did all the white led's (cargo, reverse, license plate, dome/map) last year and I have to say I am kinda unhappy with the reliability of LED's from Retro Solutions. Knock on wood I have not had an issue with the ones on my truck YET. When I first got mine I absolutely loved the brightness so I got a few sets for other people. The second batch I ordered (reverse and cargo lights for my buddy, my dad and my fiance's trucks) have all had issues. So far i sent back 2 pairs for repair where 3/4 bulbs had issues. They were sent back to me and now from the same bulbs 2/4 are having issues and finally another bulb on a different truck is toast so they will be going back shortly. We have run through all the tests switching sides, checking polarity and I have to give Retro the benefit of the doubt that it must have been a bad batch or something, and they have been good about it, but it sure is frustrating when they are that expensive. Plus the time and postage to send them back from Canada each time a repair is needed. I'm thinking We probably would have had about the same success with chinese ebay lights for 1/10th the price. These issues have kept me from jumping right in to LED headlights, just can't afford to have a headlight go out.

·
Semper Fi
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
I've gotta say, I haven't come across any other trucks on the road that have switched over to LEDs in the same manner that I did. Most of the trucks that I've seen with LEDs are the tail lights only and they are the whole aftermarket assemblies.

Has anyone subscribed here done the LED headlight swap yet? It's really grabbed my interest and I have considered going ahead with it. I've seen some threads out there, but would like to see some more reports of good or bad experiences.

·
Semper Fi
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Well, it's been over 2 years now and I haven't had any issues with any part of my LED upgrade. All lights still work as advertised, I haven't even seen as much as one diode go dead. I love the way my truck looks with the LEDs.

Has anyone else done this upgrade? I'd like to read some success stories.

On another note, I swapped out my standard halogen headlights for the LED kit from superbrightleds.com. They are the 5th generation LED technology with some big heat dissipaters on the back. I'm still on the fence about them. I'm not sure if I have them aimed correctly. I aimed them as high as the housing would allow, but the big bright spot on the pavement didn't look like it was far enough out in front of my truck, but when I stood in front of the truck I was blinded. Then I aimed them down and they seem to work ok, they light up reflectors well on down the road, but it doesn't seem to light everything up like I'm used to, and there's a big bright spot on the pavement right in front of the truck.

Has anyone else had any luck with the LED headlights?

Reactions: trife96 and bismic

·
Mr. Crossthread
4,499 Posts

·
Semper Fi
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Hey all,

I went through and updated my initial post - cleaned it up so that it's easier to read the part numbers and whatnot, and then added clickable links for each of the bulbs to make it easier to find everything. Also, a few of the part numbers I had originally posted had become obsolete, so I updated each with the new part numbers.

LEDs have become much more common and so much better since I did this write up 5 years ago. Does anyone else have products they found success with? I'm always looking for improvements in replacement bulbs.

61 - 80 of 97 Posts