Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Semper Fi
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright guys and gals, I’ve finally finished a project I’ve been meaning to do for some time now. Seeing as how I’m not a huge fan of aftermarket lighting assemblies, I opted to go with replacing bulbs instead of whole housings and probably saved myself a good chunk of change in the process. I have created a one-stop-shop list of part numbers and quantities for a complete exterior light upgrade from standard bulbs to LEDs. All of the part numbers below are available at LED Lights, Bulbs & LED Lighting Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS. Super Bright LEDs did not compensate me in any way for this write up; I’m doing this solely for the benefit of my fellow 6.0 owners. I know how much pride we all take in our rigs. With that being said, the bulbs listed below are guaranteed to fit in the housings and work as advertised - after some trial and error on my part. :doh: The good people at Super Bright LEDs were awesome to work with – polite and extremely helpful throughout the process.

I tried to take the best pictures possible to show how well these bulbs work. I’m extremely pleased with the results. The bulbs listed below will fit and work, they are what are in my rig now. They have a few variants to each type of bulb… for example, when I initially ordered the bulbs for the cab clearance lights, I ordered the 194 LED Bulb - 13 SMD LED Wedge Base Tower - Amber. Turns out the bulbs are too long to fit in the clearance light housing, something I was afraid was going to happen but I went ahead and ordered them anyway. When I called Super Bright LEDs for help with the return, the customer service representative completed the return form for me and emailed it to me so that all I had to do was print it out and send it with the return items. She then transferred me over to a technical support representative who recommended the 194 LED Bulb - 5 SMD LED Wide Angle Wedge Base - Amber instead.

I hope this helps anyone looking to do this project. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact me. Exterior lights first up here at the top, then interior lights with step by step instructions, tips, and tricks towards the bottom.

List of parts quantities and part numbers:

Flasher
Description: EP27L LED Bulb Electronic Flasher
PN: EP27L
QTY: 1 Location shown below, inside circled black cover.

High Mount Brake Light
Description: 921 LED Bulb - 19 SMD LED - Miniature Wedge Base - Red
PN: 921-R19-T
QTY: 1

Bed Cargo Lights
Description: 921 LED Bulb - 15 SMD LED Tower - Miniature Wedge Base - Cool White
PN: 921-CWHP15-TAC
QTY: 2

Rear Stop / Turn / Tail Lights
Description: 3156/3157 CK LED Bulb - Dual Function 27 SMD LED Tower - Wedge Base - Red
PN: 3157-R27-T-CK

Front Turn / Parking Lights
Description: 3156/3157 CK LED Bulb - Dual Function 27 SMD LED Tower - Wedge Base - Amber
PN: 3157-A27-T-CK

License Plate Lights
Description: 921 LED Bulb - 15 SMD LED Tower - Miniature Wedge Base - Cool White
PN: 921-CWHP15-TAC

Reverse Lights
Description: 3156 LED Bulb - 18 SMD LED Tower - Wedge Base
PN: 3156-x18-T-CAR

Cab Clearance Lights & Front Marker Lights (in headlamp assemblies)
Description: 194 LED Bulb - 5 SMD LED Tower - Miniature Wedge Base - Amber
PN: 194-AHP5
QTY: 7 [ (5) Cab Clearance Lights / (2) Front Marker Lights ]

The exterior bulbs are all pretty user-friendly to swap out. The interior bulbs require just a bit of engineering to get right, so below you will find step by step instructions with photos to help you understand. I went with the natural white LED color for my interior, but they have other color temps available.

Map Lights and Dome Lights
Description: 578 LED Bulb - 8 LED Festoon - 44mm - Natural White
PN: 4410-NW8
Qty: 6

First start out by removing the lens cover from the housing. You will find three phillips head screws in the center of the housing, their location inside the red circles in the picture. Unscrew all three. You'll see in the picture one of the screws is still present in the housing - it's captive.

You'll next have to disconnect the connector from the housing, you'll see in the picture below the location where the connector is located in the blue circle. Lift the tab and pull the connector out. Now with the housing in your hands, turn it over to find the metal reflectors, their location is shown below inside the red circles. If you look closely, you'll see writing stamped into the housing that reads "REMOVE FOR BULB SERVICE" and an arrow. Right where that arrow is pointing, you'll find a tab. You'll need to release the tab (I used a knife blade) while pulling the metal reflector up and away from the housing. The side closest to the arrow is the only side with a tab, the other side just slides in and out.

After removing the old bulb, you'll need to insert the new bulb straight up and down in the receptacle (as shown below), it won't fit any other way.

Once you have the new bulb in the receptacle, rotate it to aim the LEDs down the tunnel, as shown in the two pictures below.

Reinstall the metal reflectors, then flip the housing over. Because of the shape of the bulb, it won't fit into the receptacle as it is. You'll need to use your thumb on the prongs to bend them in the direction of the arrow shown below. Pay attention to bend the prongs at the end of the receptacle circled in the picture, the other end will not bend. After you have bent the prongs out, the bulb will now slide down into the receptacle.

Reconnect the housing to the connector in the headliner and op-check. If everything checks good, screw the three screws back in, and replace the lens cover on the housing. The first picture below shows the front with new LEDs and the back with old incandescent bulbs. The second picture is both front and back with new LEDs.

·
Smoke Eater
1,305 Posts
My question is about the flasher... i already have LED's all the way around but i didnt install the resistors so i get the hyper flash on turn signals... the EP27L.. any different than the EP27 you can get at autozone etc?... tryin to figure this out.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Looks very good

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Been looking to upgrade my reverse lights and license plate lights, thanks!

·
california deplorable
10,641 Posts
those look real nice. i have the color change leds but that is as far as i have gone so far and dont even have them in yet as i need a set of adapter wires to get my left turn signal to work still. I swear I never thought this truck would be this much of a project or take this long to get done...still worth it :thumb:

·
Semper Fi
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My question is about the flasher... i already have LED's all the way around but i didnt install the resistors so i get the hyper flash on turn signals... the EP27L.. any different than the EP27 you can get at autozone etc?... tryin to figure this out.
I can't be certain about the flasher at AutoZone. I've read that other guys have bought those and didn't have any luck. The flasher relay in my write up works 100% correct. No need to install in line resistors at all.

Reactions: Stiles

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
Nice write-up! Been wanting to do this for a while.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
I just installed under cabinet LEDs from Superbrightleds.com in a kitchen reno and I agree, great to work with and great prices and quality. A friend has LEDs under his cabinet and they are not even close to the intensity mine are. I can light the kitchen with mine and he can only use his as a night light!

I've been looking on their site at bulbs for the truck not sure of what I'd need, now I know! Thanks for the leg work! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
6,307 Posts
I used the plain ep27 from advanced and it worked fine. It did say led compatible on the package though.

·
Smoke Eater
1,305 Posts
Reactions: Superblazin

·
Semper Fi
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just installed under cabinet LEDs from Superbrightleds.com in a kitchen reno and I agree, great to work with and great prices and quality. A friend has LEDs under his cabinet and they are not even close to the intensity mine are. I can light the kitchen with mine and he can only use his as a night light!

I've been looking on their site at bulbs for the truck not sure of what I'd need, now I know! Thanks for the leg work! :thumb:
Glad I could help! I've read horror stories here on the forum about another company with terrible quality products that they wouldn't stand behind. So yes, one of the best parts of this whole project was being able to work with such a helpful and friendly company like Super Bright LEDs.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I used the plain ep27 from advanced and it worked fine. It did say led compatible on the package though.
That is key the LED compatible drops the minimum watt. rating to support these low draw LED bulbs. The 27L depending on the brand can stand for L=Longlife or L=LED so just confirm before you buy.

·
Semper Fi
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also, the stock flasher relay in my truck was blue. I believe it was the original one. Either way, if you don't find a blue one under that cover I showed in the picture, turn your hazards on and feel which relay is ticking to find the correct one to pull.

·
Premium Member
6,307 Posts
Ill add the relays were just mounted to a flimsy metal strap kinda thing. I reached up from under the dash and pulled the relays down bending that metal tab until the relays faced down. Thats a hell of alot better than being a contortionist to get in there.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I want to change all my vehicles to LED lights. At least someone else has done the work for me on the truck. Thanks!
I have a question that isn't related. What are the switches beside your brake controller on the dash?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Semper Fi
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I want to change all my vehicles to LED lights. At least someone else has done the work for me on the truck. Thanks!
I have a question that isn't related. What are the switches beside your brake controller on the dash?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
There are 4 auxiliary switches that come stock from the factory on some versions of the F250/F350. There is nothing pre-wired to these switches from the factory, my guess would be that Ford knew these trucks would be used by people for many different work purposes so they integrated aux switches so that you wouldn't have to booger up your dash with aftermarket switches (for things like warning lights, remote switch for compressor, etc.) . I found a write up on how to wire up a SEIC (standing engine idle control aka "high idle") using an aux switch, I use Aux 4 for that.

Hopefully that answers your question.

·
Premium Member
6,307 Posts
Ill add the relays were just mounted to a flimsy metal strap kinda thing. I reached up from under the dash and pulled the relays down bending that metal tab until the relays faced down. Thats a hell of alot better than being a contortionist to get in there.
^ for the 99-04 people like myself that dont have the lower glovebox lol

·
Motor Head.
1,733 Posts
Subscribed.

·
Semper Fi
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just ordered the rear ID bar for the Ferd and DRLs for my BMW from superbright. I'll post pics when I get them installed.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts