Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 73 Posts
Need some help! My 97 will start in cold weather, but when I start to drive its seems as if it is struggling for air and produces a much louder sound under the hood. I have checked connections both air and electrical and could not locate any obvious issues under the hood. Air filter is new and I recently had the glow plugs replaced and pcm replaced. I only encounter this problem in cold temperatures 45 and below and while driving. The sound and rough running will decrease if I increase my speed, but it will return as the speed is reduced. When in park or stopped I don't encounter the problem.

Frustrated
sounds like its your ebpv closing for faster warm ups. once the truck it up to temp does it still do it?

Common problem #1

Tach moves comes off zero about needle with. Is that goog?

Truck runs idles rough just replaced uvch and one wire harness. Lots of white smoke. Fuel pump pressure 50 at idle

Common problem #1

Tach moves comes off zero about needle with. Is that goog?

Truck runs idles rough just replaced uvch and one wire harness. Lots of white smoke. Fuel pump pressure 50 at idle
Moves on cranking? If so good.. and rough idle and white when its cold? Normal

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

if having cold weather hard start issues and glowplugs are getting voltage and ohm out ok i have found that the glow plugs are not heating from the tip and instead about half inch up the tip, remove a few glow plugs and check them on bench with a good battery. observe where it starts to glow and it should start at tip and move upward. compare it to a new motorcraft one. when the glow plug is in the engine it only sticks into the combustion chamber about 9/16 of an inch so when it heats up midway up the tip it is not putting the heat in the combustion chamber. this problem usually causes harder starts as temp gets really cold. also be careful when checking on bench as they become hot very quick and only need about 10 seconds to observe hope this helps someone

a note to my previous post. when checking glow plug on bench wear safety glasses and use good test leads of 14 gauge fasten ground to the thread area and 12 volts to bullett area where harness slides on when in the motor. you can also gently clamp in vise to ease handling the glow plug

ok guys need some help asap if possible on my 97 i pulled a couple codes and come to find out its the cps and icp i calle d the guys at the international place and he asked when my truck was build and it was 10/97 he needed the engine serial # but didnt have it and have not called him back he said there was a couple styles of icp sensors to get for it and for aound 200-250 does anybody know what style it would take and which icp and cps would be the best ones thank guys

ok guys need some help asap if possible on my 97 i pulled a couple codes and come to find out its the cps and icp i calle d the guys at the international place and he asked when my truck was build and it was 10/97 he needed the engine serial # but didnt have it and have not called him back he said there was a couple styles of icp sensors to get for it and for aound 200-250 does anybody know what style it would take and which icp and cps would be the best ones thank guys
Your local stealership has new cps for $25..

Don't know if its been posted yet- ABS light on dash and torque converter sporadically engaging and disengaging... Speed sensor on rear diff was bad..

I dont know if this is a problem that anyone else has had but it seemed strange to me.

Don't know if its been posted yet- ABS light on dash and torque converter sporadically engaging and disengaging... Speed sensor on rear diff was bad..

I dont know if this is a problem that anyone else has had but it seemed strange to me.

I have that same problem and have been trying to figure it out, it will come on out of no where and then it will just decide to go off.

I have that same problem and have been trying to figure it out, it will come on out of no where and then it will just decide to go off.

Mine turned out to be a two part problem actually. I had to replace the speed sensor and my rear turn signal lights and haven't had a problem since.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Has anyone run into Injector cup problems? Getting fuel in the coolant? I've got that going on and from all my research this may be a common problem? Runs fine but reservoir tank overflows and smells of fuel. Hasn't run hot. Going to replace and hope its not a head gasket but I'd like some feedback from the gurus on whether this is common or not

Its not real common, but its definitely is known to happen. More so when someone changes the coolant and puts the wrong stuff in, if you have the original engine in there. Also, be sure to use OEM cups. Some aftermarket cups are a hair too big and people sometimes have trouble seating them. Use the loctite 680 retaining compound. No worries anymore for absolute specific coolant choices.

Yeah do like Corey said, maybe even mark the level with a sharpie on the coolant tank- I did that when I was watching my coolant level

Thanks all for this Thread. Great info. I'm hopefully a new owner by the weekend of a 7.3L. I am also a newbie Diesel owner. I dont have much experience with engine repair, but the Threads are fantastic. I see a lot of this CPS problem so even though I have no clue "at this time" what that is or where its at....I will research and locate it just in case...Thanks again! keep it coming

21 - 40 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.