Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I’ve been searching to no avail for some info concerning the IPR. I have a 2005 6.0 with a HPO leak based on my ICP reading 280psi when trying to start when hot. What I’m trying to figure out is how do I command the IPR shut using a Forscan with BAFX WiFi scan tool? I need help

·
Registered
625 Posts
Hey guys I’ve been searching to no avail for some info concerning the IPR. I have a 2005 6.0 with a HPO leak based on my ICP reading 280psi when trying to start when hot. What I’m trying to figure out is how do I command the IPR shut using a Forscan with BAFX WiFi scan tool? I need help
If you have a hpo leak, you should be doing the pressure test through the ipr port. Have you pulled the ipr to see if the screen and seals are intact?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was having the no start when hot before and after I replaced my IPR sensor. The diesel shop replaced it after I was having a no start after my truck completely shut down one the road one day.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,000 Posts
To command the IPR valve - you can use an old ipr connector from an old harness wired to a cig. lighter plug and only keep it plugged in for 2 minutes not to damage the IPR. I have been told you really can go longer and not damage it, but I like to be conservative.

Try asking a tech at your local Ford dealer, maybe one will be nice enough to snip one off a harness that's laying around.

Red wire switched power Pin A: Apply B+; Yellow/red switched ground Pin B: Apply B-

Also:

Without a scan tool to take active command of IPR duty to 100%, you can do it by having the key in the RUN position, and jumping pin #2 of C1381c (the middle of the three PCM connectors between the driver side battery and the inner driver side fender well which requires the battery cover removed to access) which will be a yellow wire with red stripe. This is the ground side wire to the IPR.

Lastly:
Tool to close the IPR:
OTC 6764 Ford Diesel 6.0L IPR Controller / Tester

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To command the IPR valve - you can use an old ipr connector from an old harness wired to a cig. lighter plug and only keep it plugged in for 2 minutes not to damage the IPR. I have been told you really can go longer and not damage it, but I like to be conservative.

Try asking a tech at your local Ford dealer, maybe one will be nice enough to snip one off a harness that's laying around.

Red wire switched power Pin A: Apply B+; Yellow/red switched ground Pin B: Apply B-

Also:

Without a scan tool to take active command of IPR duty to 100%, you can do it by having the key in the RUN position, and jumping pin #2 of C1381c (the middle of the three PCM connectors between the driver side battery and the inner driver side fender well which requires the battery cover removed to access) which will be a yellow wire with red stripe. This is the ground side wire to the IPR.

Lastly:
Tool to close the IPR:

Also:

Lastly:
Tool to close the IPR:
I just received my OTC IPR controller. I will be doing the air test from the ICP side. Do I command the IPR before I pump in the air or after?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Before.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Start with the IPR open, then when you close it should hear the air cut off sharply
leave the air supply connected and be sure you have no leaks on the test equipment

Reactions: bismic

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One more question, since I’m using the IPR controller, am I still limited to only 2 minutes on keeping the IPR shut?

·
6,000 Posts
That is what Ford says - only 2 minutes to avoid damaging the actuator. Many Techs seem to think it can go longer.

Reactions: Hydro

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
One more question, since I’m using the IPR controller, am I still limited to only 2 minutes on keeping the IPR shut?
I have not used that tester, so ask is it a PWM controller?
the IPR is Pulse Width Modulated by the PCM controller in the truck and is "on" when the engine is running
the issue with straight 12 volts to the IPR is overheating the magnet coil, which the PWM control bypasses

·
6,000 Posts
I have not ever seen one that was PWM

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Just looked at the operating instructions for the Bosch tester, it does not specify the type of control that it uses

Too bad it does not include a Y-harness
actually a PWM controller is not that difficult to make, and could allow variable control of the IPR

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It’s recommended to do the air test when system is hot cause that’s when I get a no start when hot. Now I’m looking at where my IPR is located. How can I test the system when hot when I have to remove Intake back to turbo, remove CAC tube on hot side and might have to remove the coolant reservoir ? Is there a easy way I don’t know about?

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Remove the bolts holding the coolant bottle and use a strap to hold the bottle up a little
then depending on how large your hand is, you may need to remove the FICM mounting bolts
reach around the rear of the FICM and get the socket onto the IPR or to the plugin
no need to remove anything on the other side of the engine if your going in the ICP sensor port

·
Registered
586 Posts
Should be able to reach the ipr from the bottom. Yeah, it'll be warm, but if just operating temp, I never got burnt.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Should be able to reach the ipr from the bottom. Yeah, it'll be warm, but if just operating temp, I never got burnt.

Remove the bolts holding the coolant bottle and use a strap to hold the bottle up a little
then depending on how large your hand is, you may need to remove the FICM mounting bolts
reach around the rear of the FICM and get the socket onto the IPR or to the plugin
no need to remove anything on the other side of the engine if your going in the ICP sensor port
Good. So I do t have to remove the intake.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I was wondering if I was able to reach it from the bottom. I’ll take a try

1 - 18 of 18 Posts