Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, ive scanned through misc threads. Does anyone have pic by pic on how they have did the whole process ... Ovenback, how did u tear housings apart, what you did to paint housings(what grits, what brand paint, clear coating?, etc),what you used to seal them back together... And anything else i would be missing.... Any info id greatly appreciate from anyone before i attempt this
Thanks

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
plus one on that!

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts

·
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel
4,156 Posts
15 minutes at 250, no need to do 5 mins, pry, then heat more and pry some more. I just did an hid retrofit and separated my lights. Look in the 6.4 electronics section, thread titled "08 f250 HID retrofit HOW TO.

As far as paint, you'll want self etching primer,then your choice of color. Greg high heat rated paint (brake caliper paint is good). Use butyl to seal Them back together.

hell, since you have em apart do a true hid retrofit, you won't ever go back to halogen! Look at my pics in that thread for that.

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!!! Appreciate the replys!... Iam seriously thinking about the retro fit.... In the end what was your total cost of hid kit and projectors?

·
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel
4,156 Posts
Well, so I wasn't in a hurry, I bought another set of headlights to retrofit so I could still drive my truck. It's my dd. if I didn't buy that set then Im only out $300 +/-

Well worth the time and money spent! The lighting is amazing!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice!!! I just bought a new/used set off a 2012 today just so i have back up in case i screw this up lol what tools did u need for installing the projectors? And did u seal them into the housing with butyl as well?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, i just put one headlight in the oven.... We will see how this goes... I do want to do the hid and projector retro fit but i am heading away next week and will not be home by time they show:/.... And being so eager i cannot just leave them sit there so iam going to give the paint thing a try. One question... How are you guys aligning the lights when u re install ?

·
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel
4,156 Posts
Thanks^
There's many ways to adjust them. But if your Just painting the bezel
Then you won't need to re adjust them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well i had a screw up taking the first one apart.... The bottom pot cracked when i was removing lens:/
Im not sure if i can glue or apocy it together as its the part the snaps on to the screw like part with the ball head on the end :/
I went ahead and took bezel off Sanded and painted it satin black and painted my orange sidemarker solid red lol

·
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel
4,156 Posts
Ah damn, sorry to hear that...post up some pics brotha!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ive got lots of pics taken but i cannot figure this photobucket thing out also for fsake lol, im wondering if i glue this pot back together will it hold up?... My luck prob not... Just got back from the dealership... They told me i have to oder the whole assembly if i want that lower headlight pot(492.00 + tax which is 12% here!) i dont think so!... I just bought the two for 300 dollars lol... They are out to lunch.
Well i so have the one on my truck to take off.... Cross my fingers that one comes off without a break! I also had to send my 40" rigid out for warranty so i just got my new one back today and will be re installing that back in my bumper as well

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well so much for the other light!! Same exact thing happened with lower pot on this side too!!! Can u explain how u were able to pry the housings apart without breaking them Wonder what iam doing wrong ! This sucks bad! I dont know if i should even attempt try the ones on my truck now... Then i will be out 2sets of lights alot of money and then some if i have to buy more :/

·
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel
4,156 Posts
Damn man that sucks. I heated at 250 for 15-16 minutes. I ran the exacto blade down in the channel then I slowly pryed around
The light- aroun the inner part that butts up to the grill, did the same on the top and bottom, then just pulled it apart on the side that butts up to the fender. Patience is the key, put it back in the oven if it's getting hard to separate. Good luck!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks! Yea i used a utility blade... I heated them for 13 mins just cuz i was nervous.... But maby it wasnt hot enough:/.... Now im reallll nervous bout doing it to the ones on my truck

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I can show you the photobucket thing sometime if you want, its pretty easy once you know how.
Did you find some colour match paint tonight? for side markers.

·
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel
4,156 Posts
If u have an iPhone or droid, download photog bucket app and you can upload them straight to photobucket that way

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Yeah, I think it looks pretty good with the red man. Get some pics up on here!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts