Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2012 F250 with 75K on the clock. The truck belonged to my Dad and it's been maintained by the book since he purchased new. 1st thing in the morning when the fluid is still cold I get a slip or shudder of sorts when taking off and going from 1st into 2nd. It happens 1 time in the morning and then it's fine until the next morning. No codes, no CEL and no other problems. Any thoughts?

k

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
What’s the trans temp at when this happens?

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
Checked the fluid for color/smell?

Any recent work done? fords new service interval for the 6.7l is 150k on transmission so any services on the transmission?

Any mods? lift, larger tires, tuning etc?

Also what temp is outside and ambient? it was asked twice so far. The reason its being asked is Hot and Cold are very relative to the person. for example cold to me is when its -25 and I really don't want to go out and start/warm up the truck. yet to some other people when its 30 degrees its cold etc.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked the fluid for color/smell?

Any recent work done? fords new service interval for the 6.7l is 150k on transmission so any services on the transmission?

Any mods? lift, larger tires, tuning etc?

Also what temp is outside and ambient? it was asked twice so far. The reason its being asked is Hot and Cold are very relative to the person. for example cold to me is when its -25 and I really don't want to go out and start/warm up the truck. yet to some other people when its 30 degrees its cold etc.
Fluid checks, smells good and has a healthy color. Everything completely stock. Morning temps have been running 15F to 45F here in VA lately. I usually hit the remote start and it runs maybe 3 or 4 minutes before I get in and take off. I had to replace the reductant heater this week but this was happening before and is still happening after. Unless the book says to change fluid before 75K it hasn't been done. I assumed the usual 30K like my 5Rs so my bad there.

k

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
Fluid checks, smells good and has a healthy color. Everything completely stock. Morning temps have been running 15F to 45F here in VA lately. I usually hit the remote start and it runs maybe 3 or 4 minutes before I get in and take off. I had to replace the reductant heater this week but this was happening before and is still happening after. Unless the book says to change fluid before 75K it hasn't been done. I assumed the usual 30K like my 5Rs so my bad there.

k
Gotcha,

I would do some digging then. I swore I remember some upgraded flashed for the earlier 6.7l for shifting. May be worth checking out. Also worst case you could drain the pan and replace that fluid at least and see if there is any difference. If it gets better or worse with a fluid change could mean more diagnosing mechanically or with programming.

Personally 15 is pretty cold for transmission fluid but shouldn't skip like you are describing. Id recommend checking if a reflash is available and look into dropping the pan and checking it out just in case. at 75k some new fluid should only improve if anything.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gotcha,

I would do some digging then. I swore I remember some upgraded flashed for the earlier 6.7l for shifting. May be worth checking out. Also worst case you could drain the pan and replace that fluid at least and see if there is any difference. If it gets better or worse with a fluid change could mean more diagnosing mechanically or with programming.

Personally 15 is pretty cold for transmission fluid but shouldn't skip like you are describing. Id recommend checking if a reflash is available and look into dropping the pan and checking it out just in case. at 75k some new fluid should only improve if anything.
Dad never mentioned feeling anything but he was pretty sick for several months before he passed in late January. 375,363 on my 5R now. It's never missed a beat.

One more thought/question. Would the dealership have reflashed anything with the reductant heater replacement? They replaced it under warranty.

k

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
Dad never mentioned feeling anything but he was pretty sick for several months before he passed in late January. 375,363 on my 5R now. It's never missed a beat.

One more thought/question. Would the dealership have reflashed anything with the reductant heater replacement? They replaced it under warranty.

k
Its kind of 50/50 most dealers would inform you but many seem to do what they want and put it on the invoice. It wouldn't be bad to give them a call and see if there are any TSBs for the transmission programming or maybe they can put it in re-learn and let the transmission learn on its own again. That alone may solve shifting issues. Software/firmware is a tricky monster let alone combined with the customization features of tuning.

·
BBBRRRRRTTTTT
6,108 Posts
Like justin said, if you had other recall or TSBs waiting the dealer would have brought it to your attention.

My 6r has also been awkward compared to the 5r my 6.0 had. Unless your shift is way out of whack I would wager it's just the 6r cold antics.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts