Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1997 OBS F-250 7.3 Powerstroke - 275,000 miles
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm new to diesels and have found this forum very useful so far but I am still having issues with my truck starting in colder temperatures. It is important to mention that I just bought this truck in the summer and it hadn't ran in about 2-3 years and is pretty much stock. Once I got it home I went ahead and replaced all the normal things that I have listed below. Once it drops below 35° F my truck will not start unless plugged. I have tried cycling my glow plugs several times and does not seem to help any. I also had issues after it dropped under 60° where I had to let my truck idle for about 15-20min before it ran smooth and had any power. Truck runs and starts great once warmed up, it just has issues cold starting which makes me think it is something to do with the glow plugs potentially. I believe that the injectors are original to the truck (277,000 miles) and probably should be replaced and is on my list for next summer. Currently I am running synthetic 15w-40 and am planning on swapping to 5w-40 when I get back from college for winter break. I'm in Indiana so I would like to make it start as best as I can for winter. Is this normal or am I overlooking something that could cause this issue? Any advice would be appreciated!

List of new parts installed within 1,000 miles:
New Oil & Filter
2 New Batteries
Glow Plug Relay
8x Glow Plugs (Bosch)
Starter
Starter Relay
Fuel Heating Element
CPS
ICP

·
Registered
2000 Excursion, 2000 F350, 2016 F350
35 Posts
Rough running when cold usually means injectors are going bad. Colder oil is thicker and worn injector parts dont work well with thicker oil. Id say its pretty safe to say your injectors need a replacement since theyre original at 277k.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Definitely something needs attention. Try adding an anti-gel liquid ( PowerService Diesel Kleen, White Bottle ) available @ Walmart. @30°, it should start fine. Injectors maybe the next thing. Check with @[email protected] - a vendor here who specializes in 7.3Ls.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the quick responses and the advice! I am already adding the anti-gel to the fuel. Seems to crank just fine and fast. Battery terminals are decent and tight, planning on putting new cables in or at least fresh connectors sometime soon and will definitely replace injectors as my next big thing. I will try jumping the GPR tomorrow morning to see if it helps and will report back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Use a pair of pliers and jump the glowplug relay. Then see if it starts better. The signal wire from the PCM to the GP relay may be broken in the wire loom.
Tried this morning to jump the GPR for about a minutes however it was relatively warm at 45 degrees and normally starts fine in those temps. Started as normal and still had a rough idle for about 15 minutes.

·
Vendor
13,216 Posts
We carry Full force and Alliant Power injectors. As far as a better quality rebuild, the Alliant Power would be my choice, but they are more money.

But if it were me, I'd go with the Navistar AC high output factory injector.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts