Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Day 4 of this problem! Ok first the temperature around here has been 54-36 degrees at night. I come out crank truck over and it will crank for awhile fire a few spurts but not completely start. Then after few attempts it MIGHT fire up for few seconds, sound good. then kill itself. Getting some black smoke when cranking it over. Also oil pressure on dash guage shoots up to normal while cranking also.

HOWEVER.. when I get home from work in the afternoon and the weather temp is 70 degrees or above, fires up first attempt like new?!?

Fuel filters are good, oil needs changing as of last week. Checked FICM showed (4 screw)
buzzing: 46
Cranking: 46
Running: 26.....??
Also checked glowplug controller (green and black female ends) all read in. 5- 1.5ohm range.
Frustrated to say least! Oh also like 5 days ago was driving about 5 miles and truck started to shutter like it was missing, pulled over turned off truck, restarted and ran fine. Now cold starting issues?
Thought FICM. but don't understand if cold weather would affect it on these morning attempts and then be completely ok in warm afternoon. Any ideas anyone???

·
Registered
568 Posts
If your FICM ever drops below 46, it is bad, I would recommend a new FICM and some glow plugs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Read swamps has good FIcM, any others that are worthwhile? Was supposed to do some hauling out of state this weekend and turnaround for FIcM wouldn't allow that, oh well. Just seeing what options there might be if that is the problem. Seemed like FILM to me just need some expert opinions.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Now you can just use any FICM you find, you just have to flash it to your VIN.

But I'd never recommend MKM Customs/Sinister Diesel for any parts or accessories, turn around time sucks and they were very rude to me even though I purchased over half a grand from there online store.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I believe FICM repair.com has a swap out program may cut down on your downtime.
There repair times have been reported to be in as little as 3 days mainly due to shipping delay time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Consider them avoided, poor customer service when we spend our hard money on there services is unacceptable. I will give ficmrepair a look to see what they offer thanks for the suggestion! Any others are very welcome! Ok, so we thinking t.he FIcM is my problem? Don't need to waste any money if you know what I mean

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Ficm is at least part of the problem, you need to load test your batteries. And get a monitor on that truck. Do you have the blue spring update btw?

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok ..... what's the blue spring update? Being that I don't know about it then probably no. Yes I need to have batteries load tested also

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Ok ..... what's the blue spring update? Being that I don't know about it then probably no. Yes I need to have batteries load tested also
It is an updated fuel regulator spring that keeps your pressure from dropping below 45 psi. It is best to check fuel pressure before and after install to ensure you need it and the install was sucessful. It is easy to install. Low fuel pressure kills injectors.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I need to get that too lol. Could I use my sct xcal2 data logging ( if I had a laptop) to get some diagnostics about my injectors to see if they are doing ok?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found it odd that with this problem I haven't thrown any codes that I could find with my tuner. Is that weird?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is it strange im not throwing any codes with this problem

·
Registered
4,914 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well surprise. Got home from work truck fired right up, drove it to town (about 16 miles) felt very sluggish, just no get up and go. Cleared up about half way into trip though. So I am assuming this is still indicative of the failing FICM. I will be pretty happy to get this fixed, just hope this is the extent of this issue.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts

·
GET MY ENEMA BUCKET BRO!!
2,066 Posts
Kinda sounds like my ordeal. I ended up needing new injectors.

Sorry stumbled upon while searching for what a blue sprig was.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Jaksun, just google blue spring, youll get there faster.

·
GET MY ENEMA BUCKET BRO!!
2,066 Posts
Questioned answered. Goes In the fuel system to maintain 45psi. I'm sure there's a +\- in there somewhere though

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UPDATE: yanked the ficm and sent it to ficmrepair.com ordered the repair and atlas 40 tune, plus blue spring upgrade kit. Once they received my ficm it was fixed and on its way back to me in 2 days. Reinstalled unit today along with blue spring, truck fired right up and sounded STRONG! Took it for a short ride and it rode great, no misfires, lag in power or any of the problems I had experienced. I HONESTLY think it ran better in that short drive than the day I bought it. Thanks to everyone for the help and ficmrepair.com, would recommend them any day!!

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Good to hear, thanks for the update.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts