Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I need some help figuring out what's going on.

To start. My truck has taken on an extended crank time. A FULL 4 seconds. 1 onethousand, 2 onethousand, 3 onethousand, 4 onethousand fire. It ONLY does this on overnight sitting cold starts. It ONLY does this if the truck is sitting level or with front end facing down hill. If the truck has the front end parked up hill, only takes 1.5/2 seconds to fire. It NEVER does this when hot no matter how it is sitting. Another issue that may or may not be related, I got some blue smoke at start up this morning. It was cooler (about 49* over night here).

A few factors.

I have it loaded on a stock type file, no tune right now. Does this when tuned or stock.

FICM voltage is better than perfect. 48.5 to 49 when key on, cranking, and running. Batteries perfect. Checked via my volt meter and Ford computer at friends dealership.

I can see the GP draw via gauges.

I do have a CCV filter (address that with the blue smoke)

Fresh filters, oil, fuel on and on. all ford filters and T6 oil like I have used the past 50,000 miles.

The truck runs perfect. I haul heavy, tow a lot, drive it everyplace. No loss in power or issues ever.

Truck has no EGR, studded, has blue spring, straight exhaust - that's really the only mods.

The good news is that this crank issue has been around all summer and hasn't got worse. HOWEVER - I like my toys to be perfect and this truck shouldn't do this at all.

Any ideas on where to start?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I just went through this same exact problem. My driveway is on a hill and when I parked it up hill everymorning it would start, if for some reason it was parked down hill the next morning it would sometimes take ten seconds to crank and like you said it only got worse. I ordered the updated stc fitting and standpipes and dummy plugs. For some reason yours my have gotten an 05 hpo pump if it was an early 06. Anyway I pulled my pump and turned it sideways to put it in a vise and the stc fitting literally fell off. The o ring that held it in was wore out. The drivers side stand pipe came off in two pieces as well so it was probably leaking down pressure there as well. With those five things replaced, my cranking time is back to normal anyway its sitting.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i had the exact same issue is well but when i replaced the stand pipes i also replaced the o rings on the dummy plugs and all oil rail o rings that seemed to be at a bit of a bulge and that solved my issue.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So more than likley I need to dig in do SCT fitting, stand pipes, and dummies?

There's a day down the tubes! haha

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
check the rest of the fittings on the oil rail while your in there too im almost positive mine one a fitting on the oil rail not a dummy plug or stand pipe or stc fitting. but i figured while im in there ill do it all right the first time.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
haha I told you man. Your getting around the mileage for the stc to start causing weird problems. I've got spares of everything. That may be a little more than a days worth of work.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha I told you man. Your getting around the mileage for the stc to start causing weird problems. I've got spares of everything. That may be a little more than a days worth of work.
I know you did! I just freak out when my stuff isnt working the way it should. :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have an 03, so no STC fitting.

BUT, when you check the voltage to your FICM (Min 12V) and the voltage of your FICM (48V) it should be done with the engine cold, sitting overnight preferably. This is when you were experiencing your symptoms, and also seems to be the highest load on the FICM after reading all of others issues with the FICM. Testing it at the mechanic means that it is warmed up, the oil is thinner, etc.

Not saying thats what it is, just throwing it out there as another possibility

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
yes definitely another possiblity. I had IDS on this truck and it had absolutely no DTCs in memory. Usually an intermittant (cold) ficm voltage concern will atleast leave a P0611 stored.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have an 03, so no STC fitting.

BUT, when you check the voltage to your FICM (Min 12V) and the voltage of your FICM (48V) it should be done with the engine cold, sitting overnight preferably. This is when you were experiencing your symptoms, and also seems to be the highest load on the FICM after reading all of others issues with the FICM. Testing it at the mechanic means that it is warmed up, the oil is thinner, etc.

Not saying thats what it is, just throwing it out there as another possibility
The only reason why that wont hold true is because of the way the truck is sitting. Remember facing up hill, it will NEVER have an issue. Its clearly an oil issue.

Thanks, ya if it was doing it all the time cold, I would tripple check the FICM. Well quad check it because I did check it 3 times! lol

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
My STC fitting failure did the same thing...except I had problems starting my truck when parked nose up, and would start when parked on flat ground. I reasoned that the failed fitting would leak oil after the engine was shut off (since the HPOP reservoir was higher than the pump when parked on the incline), and the extended cranking time would have to refill the reservoir and get oil to the HPOP before it would fire.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ah! Got it. Ya, I am clearly losing oil prime since when it fires, it snaps right to life and no chugging.

Does anyone have a good write up for changing STC. I guess while im in there I have to pull the valve cover and change the standpipes and dummies..... So any write up on that too?

Any tips or things to watch out for?

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 15 of 15 Posts