Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking into getting a S&B cold air intake, just wanted to get y'alls views and wanted to know were the aftermarket intakes worth the money?

·
Registered
825 Posts
I have read the stock is good enough up to 500 horse power. My excursion already had a airaid intake but if it didn't I would keep the stock one.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
Check out the performance thread in my sig, and my build thread.

We have a lot of this info covered. For filtration, stay stock, if you want the 20 or so HP go aftermarket, and you will need to maintaon it.

For the 6.0L, I don't think the S&B can be beat on aftermatkets. I stay with the stocker due to dusty evitonments.

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
I just installed an S&B intake last week and the throttle response, power, and turbo spool up time all got noticebly better:thumb:

·
Registered
491 Posts
s&b is great i also had an afe that wasnt that well maint'd but turbo is stilled perfect. and it does make a nice difference especialy towing

·
Registered
80 Posts
from what i have gathered if you want alittle more power, faster spool and some turbo whistle...then get a after market CAI. If you live on a farm, run alot of dry dusty roads and such and are not looking to hit any world record for RWHP then stay with the stocker and put the money towards other repectable mods.. EX.. more tune files, coolant filtration, PCM tuning ...probably some more out there. I am a rookie to all this..I am gonna wait, the CAI will be one of the last things i get... S&B makes a nice system. I have seen one first hand. Nice, clean look them...good luck

·
Registered
497 Posts
I just installed an S&B intake last week and the throttle response, power, and turbo spool up time all got noticebly better:thumb:
What about smoke, especially if you get on it from low speed (say to change lanes or pass somebody)? If it smoked, did the S&B eliminate any?

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
Ehh. It didn't "eliminate" it per se...

It used to smoke like a freight train... now just blows a bit of smoke... but this is only if I stab it, daily driving and normally passing someone there is no smoke.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
741 Posts
Did someone say more turbo whistle?! :eek:hnoes::sly:

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
It doesn't really add too much whistle while idling/ driving slowly...
You here it sucking/intake whistle when you get on it with 10+psi..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I have the S&B I should have just stay'd stock and saved the money.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm already straight-piped. My neighbors will kill me if I add more whistle to my 03.
:rofl: while your neigbors are:ranton:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts