Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, since the search function on this forum never seems to work for me had to start another thread on this to post pictures for someone. This mod will cut the flow of hot radiator fluid to your heater core, allowing your A/C to blow colder air.

Here is the parts list:
1 - Heater Valve #74809
5' - 3/16" vacuumline
1 - vacuum T-fitting
4 - hose clamps that fit your hoses to the heater core (I used 1")

First I located the vacuum hose behind the glove box by lowering the glove box. Squeeze in on both sides of the box to allow the stops to clear the dash.

Here is a picture of the vacuum hose with the mod (sorry forgot to take pictures before splicing). Remember, the red hose will shut the flow off to the heater core anytime a selection left of the off is selected (so vent, a/c, and max a/c).

Now find the plug in the firewall going to the engine compartment and run the hose through it and up near the heater hoses.

Splice into the heater hose (you will have to cut both hoses and place the valve in with the hose clamps). I placed mine just on the other side of the firewall. Hopefully with enough clearance not to interfere with anything else. Apparently, it doesn't matter which way the valve faces. Once the valve is in place, simply connect the vacuum hose to the valve and enjoy.

·
Registered
999 Posts
great write up i was going to order that kit but i like your way when went to autozone it doenst give me the right thing with that part #

Matt

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
great write up i was going to order that kit but i like your way when went to autozone it doenst give me the right thing with that part #

Matt
I actually went to a local parts store in my town (we don't have an Autozone) and that was the part number. Guess I shouldn't have assumed it would be the same :(.

red, I noticed quite a bit of difference.

·
What u talkin bout willis
2,724 Posts
HOW MUCH COIN DID THIS MOD SET YOU BACK

·
Registered
999 Posts
what was the name of the parts store

Matt

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brown's Auto Supply, valve was about $25, and took about 30 min in the dark.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
IF you’re not in a hurry you can get a valve on eBay for less than $10 like I did, that was a year ago and I still aint got around to installing it yet.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Try Motorcraft part # F87Z-18495-AA VALVE

·
Registered
999 Posts
found it part #5954 thats at auto zone for $18
thanks for your help i hope its the same for a 6.0l i will find out next couple of days

Matt

·
Registered
885 Posts
performed this mod today. Have temp readings from center vent, 58 before and 54-55 after with max a/c. exact same tempature, humidity and driving conditions during both temp readings.

the valve does also close off on the first position right of off (floor/vent)

good thing mine was free, not sure it's worth paying for.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have an 05 F250 and it came with a valve on the heater hose. It only works on max a/c though.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
suscribing so when i get off vacation i can check the pictures out.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
I think im gonna do this. My ac just doesnt seem to keep up in the heat. It takes it too long to cool down. It blows cold, just maybe not cold enough

·
Registered
786 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts