Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at buying a cheap OBDII scanner tool off ebay but was wondering if these will pull all the same codes as one of those super expensive code readers. There are some in the low $30s even.

Cheap Ebay Scan Tool

Thanks!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Depends on how in depth you're looking to get. You have P(owertrain) codes, B(ody) codes, C(hassis) codes, and U (Future Diagnostic Systems). Most will read P and U codes, but most until you get into the $200+ range don't read B or C codes, which includes ABS codes. If you need ABS capability, this is about the cheapest you can go. CAN & OBD II Scan Tool with ABS
Those scanners are made by someone else, but i'm not sure who.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome. Thanks for that bit of knowledge. Do you find it necessary to have the B or C codes? I am looking at doing basic maintenance if my truck needs it and then taking it in to a shop for the more serious issues.

·
Registered
422 Posts
No, probably not. Insight CTS can read P and U codes, and would give you gauges too. I think dashboss can read codes too, so I'd look into that as well.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
my old superchips 1705 is a great scanner.

·
Premium Member
8,752 Posts
That tool would be a Waste of Money!

You know, because of the trucks GVWR, we are Not, strictly, OBD-II and Generic Scanners do Not contain the Library of Diesel and Ford Proprietary codes. You can always get the same, useless, scan at the Parts Stores for FREE :wink[3]:

On the cheap side, IF you have an Android device, you can get a bunch of helpful codes from the Torque App...

·
Banned
1,312 Posts
I can't get fhe torque app to read codes on my '03

I have a $30 scantool that gets a garbled screen and says 97 codes when I connect it to my 7.3. It works great on my Toyotas

I am going to try getting the car gauge pro app working one of these days.

If you want something that actually works well on the 7.3 and tests everything, you want an auto enginuity scanner.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
x2 on the torque app if going for the cheap. A friend of mine has it, and I just got the nexus 5 so I'm going to get it too.

Now, it doesn't even begin to compare to AutoEnginuity. I think every 7.3 owner should buy one of them, mine has more than paid for itself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts